Windows 10, 2004 update

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
2004 means 2020, month 4.
Those who like me worked on fixing the millennium bug, will be horrified that memories are so short that we have people using two digit years again - and causing confusion to those who think this update will take them back to 2004!

I just installed the update in the way I usually do, by going to the Microsoft website, downloading and running the media creation tool, making a USB memory stick with the installation media on it, and then running setup.exe and waiting for the process to complete. Since I have five computers to update this is by far the fastest and simplest method.

I have only done my main computer so far. Naturally I took no chances and made a Macrium Reflect backup of my C: drive before starting, just in case.

It took 50 minutes to run the update and I have found no issues at all, everything still works perfectly.

After it finished and went into Windows I made one mistake, I failed to remove the USB stick. So when I restarted later it booted from the USB stick and wanted to do a clean install of Windows. Powering off and removing the USB stick solved that and all is well.

Well done Microsoft, you are getting better at this.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've upgraded two more computers, a slightly older i7 and a bottom end Dell i3 desktop which is in my care which I had forgotten about.
No problems with either of them.

Tomorrow I'll do my 10 year old little laptop. Although it has only a dual-core Pentium, it has been upgraded over the years to have 8GB memory and a 1TB Samsung SSD, so it works fairly well.

The last two computers won't be done until I can go to them, which may not be for another month or two, as I'm not allowed to visit that location due to COVID-19 restrictions.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Is there any reason not to wait and let Microsoft automatically install it?
If you have multiple computers, then in the normal way you will go through the whole download process for each one.

If you have several computers it is much easier to control if you do the download yourself, and simply put the USB stick into each computer when it is convenient to do the upgrade. You just plug it in and run setup.exe. You are also more likely to plan it properly and make a system drive backup before and after the update.

You also end up with a USB stick that can also be booted from to do a clean install of Windows onto any computer, should you ever need to do that.

Ha! And the MacBookPro updated Mac OS too.
Too many updates...
Yeah, it did mine in the middle of the night and my laptop was in the room next to our bedroom (aka, "studio"/"office" junk room) where it was hooked up to an external monitor. When the update started the monitor lit up, and later in the cycle it lit up and went dark a couple of times as it installed. 2 O'clock in the &^%$ morning and it baffled the dickens out of me.

It's just a name, isn't it.
I doubt Windows 10 will still be around by 2099 - 2100 :)

I too worked on a lot of tailor made code to prepare for the year 2000, but on AS/400.
It was a busy period since the introduction of the EUR was in full process as well.
Fun memories :D

2004 means 2020, month 4.
Those who like me worked on fixing the millennium bug, will be horrified that memories are so short that we have people using two digit years again - and causing confusion to those who think this update will take them back to 2004!

Final report at my end:
4 laptops upgraded to windows 10 2004, only one stuck at 99%, Microsoft’s workaround resolved the problem.
That one messed up outlook and iCloud.
All other 3 upgrades without a problem.
2 older laptops moved to Ubuntu 18.04.
1 MacBook Pro upgraded OS.
Couple of firmware upgrades on laptop and printers.
Nintendo switch upgraded its OS too.
iPhones upgraded IOS too.
Samsung TV upgraded.
Fridge and vaccum cleaner next.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Final report at my end:
4 laptops upgraded to windows 10 2004, only one stuck at 99%, Microsoft’s workaround resolved the problem.
What is Microsoft's workaround?

I updated my 10 year old little laptop - again no problems.

I can think of a few more devices here which need updating now and again:
  • camera firmware
  • CCTV cameras (each camera)
  • NVR used for the CCTV
  • analog-digital converters for the two nestbox cameras (six bluetits left the nest this morning)
  • satellite box
  • managed netgear switch
  • Blu-ray player
  • smartphones
  • computer BIOSs
and I'm sure there are more.
Perhaps one day they will all be self-updating so we never have to worry (or have to worry more).

The final stage of the IoT when the AI refuses to let the corkscrew operate while your smartwatch says:
"Sorry, Mike but you have already reached the tolerable level of ethanol.
Consider a 0% wine instead"
Then you go to the fridge for a beer and it refuses to open while the smartphone says:
"Sorry, Mike but you have already reached the advised intake of calories and/or ethanol."
:rolleyes:

Luckily the cognac or single malt isn't locked up and needs no corkscrew :D
Next generation of the AI will of course make your smartwatch let you spill the entire content of the glass.

(with thanks to Isaac Asimov for the general idea)

What about your corkscrew? 🍷

The final stage of the IoT when the AI refuses to let the corkscrew operate while your smartwatch says:
"Sorry, Mike but you have already reached the tolerable level of ethanol.
Consider a 0% wine instead"
Then you go to the fridge for a beer and it refuses to open while the smartphone says:
"Sorry, Mike but you have already reached the advised intake of calories and/or ethanol."
:rolleyes:

Luckily the cognac or single malt isn't locked up and needs no corkscrew :D
Next generation of the AI will of course make your smartwatch let you spill the entire content of the glass.

(with thanks to Isaac Asimov for the general idea)
Except for the alcohol brands that will have been whitelisted, other promoted ad sponsorship.
Even AI needs quality hardware components and power.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
My electric toothbrush died today and I just ordered a new one from Amazon.
I saw that one of the most expensive Oral-B models includes AI (and has Bluetooth!) and it claims to give you advice. It even warns you if you missed cleaning a tooth. List price was about £350 ($430).
I bought a medium price one that only has six features my teeth don't need.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom