Windows 10, 2004 update

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am a magnet for technical weirdness. Neither of my Win 10 Pro HP laptops, i5 and i7 processors, will run Firefox. Installs fine, crashes upon start, even in Ffox's safe mode.

My desktop i7 Win 10 Pro will not contact the recaptcha server (the -I am not a robot deal-). Keeps me from signon at lots of sites. You should see some of the complex fixes for this: so far none work for me.

Some success, impressed my wife whose computer quit playing videos smoothly, lots of halts. Turned off "hardware acceleration" in the browzer, all ok now.
But it has been fine for years...

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I am a magnet for technical weirdness. Neither of my Win 10 Pro HP laptops, i5 and i7 processors, will run Firefox. Installs fine, crashes upon start, even in Ffox's safe mode.

My desktop i7 Win 10 Pro will not contact the recaptcha server (the -I am not a robot deal-). Keeps me from signon at lots of sites. You should see some of the complex fixes for this: so far none work for me.

Some success, impressed my wife whose computer quit playing videos smoothly, lots of halts. Turned off "hardware acceleration" in the browzer, all ok now.
But it has been fine for years...
Both those issues are about browser issues or associated plugins/extensions or PUPs.
1. Does Chrome run and if you use it do ReCaptchas work?
2. Does Edge run and if you use it do ReCaptchas work?
3. Uninstall Firefox completely. Now download it from this link and nowhere else: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/
4. Check the firewall, advanced settings, in and out. Have you been adding entries or messing with it at all? It could be blocking the recaptcha.

Yes, tried all that:
Same recaptcha failure, with Edge, Chrome, and Firefox. No extensions present. Full deletion of Firefox and reinstall from Mozilla
Same with MS Defender firewall and AVAST firewall - default settings.
Google search shows others with this trouble, some of the complex fixes work but not for all (or me).

Weird, I'll try again after getting the normal Win 10 2004 update when publicly broadcast.

That recaptcha thing looks to be a Google ($ thing) for web sites that want it. Clearly it requires contacting their server for authentication before the target web site comes up. So something is stopping that access from my desktop.

I've run malwarebytes and AVAST - no gremlins reported.

4 days ago I lost pop and imap access to my $ubscribed email service from all computers but could reach it through VPN (Romania, Hong Cong, anything but my AT&T isp). Took them days to fix the block they had put in against my IP. Like I say, weird things target me.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
What happens when you try a recap? Does it keep giving you more and more images and asks you click on all the buses, or all the traffic lights, by any chance? But never lets you through? (I have seen this.)

I get a postage stamp size notice bottom right that just says recaptch then browser is not responsive to keyboard/mouse. Expected recapcha box asking for robot check mark or pictures does not happen. Other computers it jumps to the I am not a robot box, a check mark gets it going. This level of security does not require the picture matching, at least on my other computers.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I get a postage stamp size notice bottom right that just says recaptch then browser is not responsive to keyboard/mouse. Expected recapcha box asking for robot check mark or pictures does not happen. Other computers it jumps to the I am not a robot box, a check mark gets it going. This level of security does not require the picture matching, at least on my other computers.
As you say, that is really weird. If you ever find what is causing it, I'd like to know.

Found a FIX, well not a good one but some internet person suggested this and it works: I've got the microsoft provided virtual machine Ubuntu Linux on the desktop with the recaptcha problem, fire that up and the google test site comes up just fine in the ubuntu firefox, check the not robot box, and up comes crosswalk pictures to select. Success.

Many people report the recaptcha problem started on a Win 10 update. Some claim certain registry fixes, some claim vpn helps, google says use their open dns, firewall and antivirus disable, reset win network, etc=== I've tried all those, and more, with no luck. Clearly it is something in an OS layer somewhere...that the VM bypasses. The VM clearly uses all the host networking code so it is something between that and the Win OS.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Interesting, thanks.

I normally use Google's DNS, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Several times I have had an ISP's DNS fail or get very out of date, I have never had any problem with Google's. Maybe that has helped me. Apart from that I'm on the latest Windows version (2004). Are you on 2004?

The times I have had the endless fail problem with the recap was when using Tor. Maybe it knows all the Tor exit points and deliberately fails. After looking at 100 crosswalks...

Last edited:
I'm on the current Win 10 1909 with all updates (not yet 2004) - the recaptcha worked fine for many months. Quit suddenly a couple months ago. Killed my access to several regularly accessed web sites (on my desktop computer only - not the laptops or spare desktop, they work fine. I also have 8.8.8.8&8.8.4.4 dns everywhere.

I'm on the current Win 10 1909 with all updates (not yet 2004) - the recaptcha worked fine for many months. Quit suddenly a couple months ago. Killed my access to several regularly accessed web sites (on my desktop computer only - not the laptops or spare desktop, they work fine. I also have 8.8.8.8&8.8.4.4 dns everywhere.
Time for a reformat and reinstall methinks.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Just an update replaces all the system files. That might well be enough.
I keep all the "garbage" as you call it, so I don't have to spend days reinstalling everything.
My systems all date from Windows 7, then 8, 8.1, 10 and all its versions, and they are fast and reliable. I see no need to do clean installs. Even when I get a new machine I don't do a clean install (I clone from another machine).
But I am disciplined and clean and tidy. The garbage gets taken out.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom