Windows 10, 2004 update

2004 install went fine however Edge still hasn't updated. No big deal; I don't use Edge but do wonder why it hasn't updated.

That's strange. I got the update for Edge separately from the 2004 update some 3 weeks ago. Works really well. A lot like google Chrome and without the google connection.

As for the 2004 update, there's a message that "my device isn't quite ready yet".
I looked this up and it seems to mean: "we still have to iron out some bugs in the 2004 that might affect your system" :)

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I am running v2004 and this is the version of Edge I have (Go to Settings/General and scroll to the bottom):
1592740656423.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I also have the Chromium version of Edge which went on over a month ago. The version I have is 83.0.478.54 and is @ 2020 Microsoft. I believe this is the "new" version people are talking about. The "about" this version says it is up to date.

MS forced the latest update to my laptop yesterday. It installed Edge which I do not want. It tried to take over my machine and has replaced all my selected programs for opening various files. I searched to see if there was a way to delete it but apparently MS has decided I have to have it. If anyone knows how to rid my machine of this crap, please let me know. For the last 2 days, I've been plagued with pop ups and MS crap that takes me extra time to delete before I can use my machine for the things I want to do.

The latest update makes Edge the default browser. Just go into what ever your favorite browser is such as Firefox and find the setting option to make that browser the default browser.

That's not the point. The point is MS has forced me to have something useless to me on my computer and has not asked me if I wanted it, obtained my permission to install it, nor provided me a way to get rid of it. They forced an "update" that now requires my time to reset my computer settings back to the way I want it and installed a piece of malware that I can't get rid of.

That's not the point. The point is MS has forced me to have something useless to me on my computer and has not asked me if I wanted it, obtained my permission to install it, nor provided me a way to get rid of it. They forced an "update" that now requires my time to reset my computer settings back to the way I want it and installed a piece of malware that I can't get rid of.
All true.
Not much you can do about it.
It is in the small prints of the contract we all agreed to when we pressed “agreed”‘to install windows 10.
Deep breaths, glass of wine...

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Would you prefer to have Internet Explorer?

It is quite useful for everyone to have Edge, as it does no harm and you never need to run it. If you ever have to help someone with their computer and need a run a browser and they don't know what a browser is (I have been asked if it is something for dispensing water?) then you can ask them to run Edge and know that it will work.

Real Name
Don Roy
You know that's the way it is on every operating system (phones, PCs, whatever). You may think it bloatware, but look at it as a way to ensure you have the functionality. If you installed a super clean Windows on a PC the way you want, zero extra stuff, it would have no browser. What would you then use to download the one of your choice?

Another point.... Since Edge went to Chromium a bit ago, it's been my primary browser, and it's really nice! I also have Chrome and Firefox installed, used to also have Vivaldi and Opera until a month ago. A (really!) nice feature of the new Edge that I've never seen on another browser is 'Install this site as an App'. It can also use anything from the huge library of Chrome Extensions.

The MS Windows 10 2004 update has just about nuked my MS Surface Pro. It has made the machine incredibly slow to boot. Once it does boot, it is really, really slow. Bad enough to make the device useless. I ended up doing a clean install of Windows 10, and then reloaded all of my programs. It seemed ok for about two hours, and than began doing the same thing again.

From what I've read, many people are having the same issue.

I think I need to find a 1909 version of Windows 10, do another clean install and reload all of my programs (again). If that works, I will try to hold off the 2004 update long enough for Microsoft to admit there is a problem with the update, and then to release a new update to fix the myriad bugs in 2004.

FWIW, the 2004 update did install just fine on another laptop I own with no issues. However it has turned my surface into a brick.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
The MS Windows 10 2004 update has just about nuked my MS Surface Pro. It has made the machine incredibly slow to boot. Once it does boot, it is really, really slow. Bad enough to make the device useless. I ended up doing a clean install of Windows 10, and then reloaded all of my programs. It seemed ok for about two hours, and than began doing the same thing again.

From what I've read, many people are having the same issue.

I think I need to find a 1909 version of Windows 10, do another clean install and reload all of my programs (again). If that works, I will try to hold off the 2004 update long enough for Microsoft to admit there is a problem with the update, and then to release a new update to fix the myriad bugs in 2004.

FWIW, the 2004 update did install just fine on another laptop I own with no issues. However it has turned my surface into a brick.
It really is worthwhile making system image backups. You could have gone back to a fully working version in 20 minutes. No need for clean installs and reloading all the software. Macrium Reflect Free.

Real Name
Don Roy
The MS Windows 10 2004 update has ... made the machine incredibly slow to boot. Once it does boot, it is really, really slow. I think I need to find a 1909 version of Windows 10, do another clean install and reload all of my programs (again).
You can't hide from the 2004 forever. I think you'd be better off just clean installing 2004. I have a Surface Go and saw no speed changes.

That's strange. I got the update for Edge separately from the 2004 update some 3 weeks ago. Works really well. A lot like google Chrome and without the google connection.

As for the 2004 update, there's a message that "my device isn't quite ready yet".
I looked this up and it seems to mean: "we still have to iron out some bugs in the 2004 that might affect your system" :)

One of my friend's desktops has the same problem. Probably one of these two issues for her:
certain old drivers for Realtek wireless wifi and Nvidia cause nasty Win 10 2004 crashes.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
My new machine is on Windows 1909. After my last multi-month attempts at installing a major update on my old machine......I'm hoping this update will go smoothly. Right now, the screen is not indicating that a new update is available for my machine..............

It really is worthwhile making system image backups. You could have gone back to a fully working version in 20 minutes. No need for clean installs and reloading all the software. Macrium Reflect Free.

Too late for that now. I did this update using a thumb drive with the update loaded so I could do multiple systems. Pretty sure you told me how to do it. If I ever get it functioning again, I'll look at using Macrium Reflect Free. And I will do this for my desktop for sure, as I have not updated it yet.

You can't hide from the 2004 forever. I think you'd be better off just clean installing 2004. I have a Surface Go and saw no speed changes.

As stated in my original post, I did do a clean install of 2004. That did not solve my problem. I fully recognize eventually MS will force 2004 on all of us, I just want to restore this one system to the last OS version that worked on it, and then give MS time to come up with a fix.

A google search shows many people with the same issue, but no solutions that work. Some folks think it may be an issue with the new mandatory version of edge conflicting with other installed browsers, but there is no proof of that.

Latest threads

Top Bottom