1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Windows 10 update deletes photo files.

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by Palouse, Oct 8, 2018.

1. That's really awful, especially for anyone who didn't have backups of their documents and photos......

2. How did this get past their thousands of QC software guys ?
    No doubt, this one stinks most of all the past upgrades.

3. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

To put it in perspective, only a small number of people were affected by deleted files, and Microsoft has provided them with a tool to get all their data back.

I upgraded two of my machines before the upgrade was stopped, and neither has any problems.

The days of professional IT testing like I used to manage are ancient history now. I doubt the people who work there ever gained experience working on commercial/banking systems where everything has to add up and work 100% of the time. A combination of weak technical management, pressure from marketing, and laziness are the usual causes. It isn't just Microsoft it is everyone.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ahh, but software is now tested with automated fuzzy inputs and diff snapshot analysis.
    Still, I can't believe they missed something this big.

A limited number of people had data loss, those who had their stuff replicated on OneDrive or their data on a non-OS drive were ok.

5. Indeed, including the banks. The initials TSB spring to mind.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Latest reports are that if you lost data they ask you to find a mall with a Windows Store and take your computer to them so they can run a 3rd party data recovery program on it.

Some say the only folks affected directly downloaded the update and no automatic updates had occurred before being delayed. No doubt it will be a while before the details are known.

One of my pc's would not accept the April update, it would crash and reload the old version. Took 5 weeks before they fixed whatever that problem was.

7. Growltiger

And I read that they were issuing tools to anyone who had lost data. The "go to a store" story is a rumour based on one person's account. I didn't even know there were Microsoft stores, perhaps they are only in the USA?

I received it by automatic update on two of my machines. (No problems on either. No lost data.) So that second rumour is incorrect.

The quote in a previous post about testers being laid off is poor reporting - it refers to events back in 2014.

In fact there is little hard information at all. Believe nothing.

8. No doubt it will be a while before the details are known.

9. So in fixing a bug, Microsoft created a bigger one. I guess regression testing has gone out of style in our modern world :( 

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. That explanation probably explains why I have two 'documents'. Both with files in them and I've been afraid to fiddle with consolidating them since I figured different programs would work on the different folders as they prefer.

11. Growltiger

Thanks for that link, it explains why I didn't lose any data.

I learned long ago to let operating systems put files where they want to go, and not try to change those defaults. To be safe I don't allow any of my own data to live in places the operating system messes with, or even anywhere on the entire C: drive. For example I have D:\Data, D:\Photos, D:\Video, D:\Audio each with a vast organised hierarchy of folders and files under it.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. If you want to redirect files away from default folders and don’t want to set the path in every application or when an application doesn’t permit choosing the path, you can use the MKLINK command to redirect files to another folder by creating a reparse point (Junction) or Hard Link. There is also a tool named Junction that is published by Sysinternals for creating NTFS Junctions but it hasn’t been updated since 2016. Still functional, though.

13. I am with Richard (Growltiger) on this one. The C: Drive is for Microsoft (OS, User default directories and Onedrive), D: is for me. The OS managed directories have changed locations with updates in the past and I suspect they will again.

14. Version 1809 (the delayed October update) is now available. I downloaded it directly last night (did not wait for the normal slow rollout update).
    Works good on three PC's. One is a laptop and it seems to be a bit slower to boot up.

This version has many new features, none look very useful to me. There's more control of making text and/or everything bigger on the display.

The update did take a very long time, even after the massive download. Lots of automatic reboots to get it self bootstrapped.

The only problem I detected was my HP laptop lost its autologon but I turned it back on easily.
    The desktops retained their autologons.

15. My pc was fed 1803 the other day courtesy of Microsoft. All seems ok.

16. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    (Mike) Michael Skerritt.
    I have problems with Lightroom cc. It tells me to choose another file? This is since I downloaded the latest W10 updates. All my photos are still there but lightroom cant find them. The problem is I also updated LRcc & PScc on the same day so I don't know if the problem is with W10 or Adobe? I also have all my files backed up on hard drives and on a 10TB NAS so I figure I will call Adobe and see if the problem was caused by their latest updates!!
    Mike

17. I did the Adobe updates yesterday Mike (LR and PS) and all's good FYI.

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.