Windows 10 Version 1809 or 1903?

I saw an article just now explaining that the latest Windows 10 Version is 1903. Yet when I use the Windows Update capability, it explains that I have the latest update and that it is Version 1809.

Anyone who can explain this in layperson's terms is greatly appreciated. (Thanks in advance to Richard! :ROFLMAO:)

I saw an article just now explaining that the latest Windows 10 Version is 1903. Yet when I use the Windows Update capability, it explains that I have the latest update and that it is Version 1809.

Anyone who can explain this in layperson's terms is greatly appreciated. (Thanks in advance to Richard! :ROFLMAO:)
I have 1809 as well Mike, and windows update reports my system as current. I read this in an article;

"Windows 10 version 1903 release date: Microsoft kicked off the May 2019 Update on April 8, 2019, with Windows 10 build 18362.30 in the Release Preview ring, and on April 18, the official ISO file was made available in the MSDN website, but now, the final version (build 18362.116) is rolling out to everyone starting May 21, 2019."

My take on this is that Microsoft started offering this on May 21. Apparently they haven't gotten to you and I just yet.

Richard??? :):confused:

I just read about this today on windows central. It’s not just you.

From the linked article:

Upgrade nowhere to be found
Starting with the May 2019 Update, you supposed to be able to click the Check for updates button in the Windows Update settings page to see if you get the option to upgrade, but again, the lack of communication has some people like sanjaymachchhar at the Microsoft forums still wondering why the update hasn't arrived yet.

I am using Windows 10 and currently on version 1809 May 2019 update while everyone else is on Version 1903 May 2019 update. Why am I still stuck on Windows 10 Version 1809 while other people are on Windows 10 Version 1903?

It doesn’t really help, other than I’m sure by now Microsoft is aware of it. I thought I saw it mentioned some place else, but I can’t seem to find where. If I find it, and it has additional information, I’ll post it.

They release it bit by bit. Just relax and be patient.

If you really want it now, you can download it, put it on media, boot from it and do the upgrade (useful if you have lots of computers).
Thanks Richard. I remember I wanted it for something a couple of weeks ago (required ver. 1903) but can't remember what it was. Must not have been all that important. So I'll wait for my "bit" to come up :).

Apologies for hijacking your thread Mike.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Thanks also from me, Richard!
Maybe it was this: Microsoft's 'Raw Image Extension' Lets You View Raw Previews in Windows 10
That's the article where I learned about Version 1903. Even so, I don't understand what installing the Raw Image Extension does that installing a codec doesn't do.
It is just a codec, so thumbnails will show up in File Explorer. Nice that they got around to providing it, and free. If you already have a codec installed that works for your files, then you don't need it.

Richard: You probably remember that I created a boot thumb drive of Version 1809 at your suggestion after I got the mess relating to the ransomware cleaned up. Is it practical to create a new one for Version 1903 once it is installed, or is it reasonable to keep the Version 1809 boot thumb drive, use it if it becomes necessary, and then update the computer's hard drive to 1903?

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Richard: You probably remember that I created a boot thumb drive of Version 1809 at your suggestion after I got the mess relating to the ransomware cleaned up. Is it practical to create a new one for Version 1903 once it is installed, or is it reasonable to keep the Version 1809 boot thumb drive, use it if it becomes necessary, and then update the computer's hard drive to 1903?
I recommend you put the new version on the thumb drive. You can do it now, you don't need to wait. If you ever wanted to use it, you would want to install the latest version, not the old version over the new version. Follow exactly the same procedure as before. Note that if you do this now, you could use the thumb drive to do the update.

I recommend you put the new version on the thumb drive. You can do it now, you don't need to wait. If you ever wanted to use it, you would want to install the latest version, not the old version over the new version. Follow exactly the same procedure as before. Note that if you do this now, you could use the thumb drive to do the update.

Thanks, Richard!

I recommend you put the new version on the thumb drive...Follow exactly the same procedure as before.

To relearn that procedure, I just now looked up the thread (it has 18 pages!) about dealing with the ransomware where you explained how to create a boot thumb drive. What an incredible series of posts: some outrageously funny, some very serious and extremely important, and everything in between. What an odyssey!

For what it's worth, my computer did the 1903 update two days ago. Everything seems to be working fine, except for one program. I only play one game, and that is the program that will not load. It is (I know, it's old) Call of Duty, World at War. Now when the program attempts to load, it fails and I get an error code 80 from windows. Everything else (LR, PS, MS Word, etc) seems to run just fine.

None of the upgrades are of any real value to me, so I am debating rolling back to 1809, when everything just worked.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
For what it's worth, my computer did the 1903 update two days ago. Everything seems to be working fine, except for one program. I only play one game, and that is the program that will not load. It is (I know, it's old) Call of Duty, World at War. Now when the program attempts to load, it fails and I get an error code 80 from windows. Everything else (LR, PS, MS Word, etc) seems to run just fine.

None of the upgrades are of any real value to me, so I am debating rolling back to 1809, when everything just worked.
Did you apply the fix to make that old program work with Windows 10? Download here:
Call of Duty: Windows 10 Edition [ARCHIVE] file

I wouldn't bother going back, at some point you need to go ahead.

I have installed 1903 on one machine now, no problems at all..

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
To relearn that procedure, I just now looked up the thread (it has 18 pages!) about dealing with the ransomware where you explained how to create a boot thumb drive. What an incredible series of posts: some outrageously funny, some very serious and extremely important, and everything in between. What an odyssey!
A tip for you.

Last time you wanted a clean install so you booted from the USB thumb drive.

This time you just want to do an update, you don't want to wipe everything. So copy the entire contents of the thumb drive you just made into a folder on your PC and then run the program called setup.exe which is in that folder.

Real Name
Don Roy
I tried that link to MS and kicked off the install. It chugged for a while then a popup said the update is not ready for my hardware. No joy for now I guess.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I tried that link to MS and kicked off the install. It chugged for a while then a popup said the update is not ready for my hardware. No joy for now I guess.
You probably have a USB storage device plugged in. If you unplug all USB storage devices you will probably be able to do the upgrade. Or you can be patient and wait.

Real Name
Don Roy
Thanks Growl, I did have a USB in. I planned to make install media, but then picked 'install on this PC' instead without pulling the USB. It's installed and up now, still assessing things.

Latest threads

Top Bottom