Windows 10 version 20H2 is here

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I just upgraded my three machines here to the latest version of Windows. Two are modern desktops, the third is my little 10 year old laptop. It all went smoothly. The modern machines each took about 45 minutes, the laptop took about two hours.

The one thing I am careful to check is the Control Panel/Colour settings, as sometimes with a major update the monitor profile setting gets mislaid. Two of them did need the profile selecting again. That was the only issue.

I did the updates the same way I usually do, I use Microsoft's media creation tool with an 8GB (or more) USB memory stick. It makes it so easy to upgrade a number of machines as there is only one big download. You just plug the stick in and run setup.exe. I'll be doing my other two machines when I next visit them. Here is the US link to get the update:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 (It is en-gb for the UK)

The autumn/fall (H2) updates are the smaller ones and the spring (H1) updates are the bigger ones. The tick-tock model.

Thanks, I am going through with the update and then will mothball the desktop and laptop until needed.

Thanks, well 3 out of 4 successes here:
Main I7 MSI computer - obvious reload of windows, several hours - OK
AMD and I3 computers - quick update to 20H2, acted more like a minor update (no complete replacement of the Win10 system as shown by several months' back system install date)
HP Laptop - long several reboot / reload of windows, long automatic prep work for sign on account, once logged in, never ending loop of trying and retrying to display desktop - Fail (glad I had made a backup first)
This computer has a microsoft account and two local admin accounts, all broken the same way. Not many programs on this laptop, I use it only for remote desktop access to my main PC. Oh, and the 'don't worry you can go back if you don't like it' fails.

Last edited:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
HP Laptop - long several reboot / reload of windows, long automatic prep work for sign on account, once logged in, never ending loop of trying and retrying to display desktop - Fail (glad I had made a backup first)
This computer has a microsoft account and two local admin accounts, all broken the same way. Not many programs on this laptop, I use it only for remote desktop access to my main PC. Oh, and the 'don't worry you can go back if you don't like it' fails.
If there isn't much on it you could do a clean install.
(I avoid Microsoft accounts and login with a local account on each computer. One day Microsoft will have a huge problem and my computers will still work.)

I wonder why some computers (all up-to-date with updates) do not take the full 2-4 hour OS download, and get the goods with the 5 minute update? They do get the 20H2 rev but the date of OS installation does not change.

Real Name
Don Roy
I wonder why some computers (all up-to-date with updates) do not take the full 2-4 hour OS download, and get the goods with the 5 minute update? They do get the 20H2 rev but the date of OS installation does not change.
Date of install is the date of initial install, clean. Everything else are just updates.

On the two of my machines that took the 20h2 over a period of hours got the date updated to current date. The ones that took a quick update did not.
Even the last spring update did put in the current time of that update.

Real Name
Don Roy
Date of install is the date of initial install, clean. Everything else are just updates.
I did some research, and I'm wrong. Apparently this is not always the case, the date doesn't stay forever. I'm not sure what the real algorithm is for the date changing, but it does indeed change at times. I did a full clean install on May 28th this year, ver 2004. I've kept things incrementally current since, including 20H2 this week, and my install date still says May 28th.

I agree with the above on install time vs hardware. My clean install was because I bought a new high end M.2 NVME C: drive in May.

My work laptop is still stating it's waiting for it to be ready for my laptop about the previous spring release :rolleyes:

Latest threads

Top Bottom