Windows 10 version 21H1

Real Name
Ken
Sounds a good idea. Take a backup and run the forced install if it isn't offered.
Well, the KB installed last night and caused the same issue. This time, I was able to use a system restore point as well as uninstall the KB. Trying to avoid a KB is not fun, so I may consider the new release. I searched the web, and a lot of people were having issues with it.

--Ken

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Well, the KB installed last night and caused the same issue. This time, I was able to use a system restore point as well as uninstall the KB. Trying to avoid a KB is not fun, so I may consider the new release. I searched the web, and a lot of people were having issues with it.

--Ken
I have used wushowhide for some years to prevent specific updates from running. It has to be an update that is sitting in the queue or that has failed. In other words the update has to be on your computer and not installed. Once it is hidden it will not try to run again. I think a major Windows update clears the list so it may then return if it applies.

Microsoft have lost? the tool, but you can see a tutorial and download it from here:
https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/wushowhide.html
I just downloaded it and compared it to the one I got from Microsoft in 2015 and a binary compare shows it is identical.

(At one time I was repeatedly being sent huge updates for an old version of Office that was not installed on the computer. Many people had the same problem. This tool stopped it.)

Real Name
Ken
Brief update. I finally got the time to install the 21H1 version on mu machine. I was hoping it would have taken care of the issue I described above. I can say that the install went well and KB5003637 did not show after I removed the suspension of Updates (mostly so I could get any critical patches related to the Zero Day spooling issue). And I am not having issue with the Windows menu. But, HP's support Assistant, which I also updated, got moved like it did when I had the KB issue.

Looking a bit deeper, I decided to remove it from the taskbar, which was easy enough. But, in digging deeper, it appears that this program creates its own toolbar. Not an issue, but when I tried to install another toolbar that I normally do not use, that toolbar installed where the HP one did. I had assumed that it would install immediately next to the drop down carrot that reveals hidden icons, like the HP program icon did before all of this happened. What I am gathering is that something has blocked about an inch or two of the toolbar just to the left of the drop down carrot, but will not reveal itself. Clicking there does not do anything, but it seems a bit weird. I have run Malwarebytes and Avast on several occasions and neither has found anything. Quite weird.

--Ken

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
... What I am gathering is that something has blocked about an inch or two of the toolbar just to the left of the drop down carrot, but will not reveal itself. Clicking there does not do anything, but it seems a bit weird. I have run Malwarebytes and Avast on several occasions and neither has found anything. Quite weird.

--Ken
This may solve it:
Right-click on an empty part of the task bar.
Click on News and interests.
Click on Turn off.

(Caret not carrot. Carrots are orange.)

Real Name
Ken
This may solve it:
Right-click on an empty part of the task bar.
Click on News and interests.
Click on Turn off.

(Caret not carrot. Carrots are orange.)
Thanks for the reply and for the correction. Dumb mistake on my part. But, I do not have New and Interests showing up anywhere when I right click on the task bar.

--Ken

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Thanks for the reply and for the correction. Dumb mistake on my part. But, I do not have New and Interests showing up anywhere when I right click on the task bar.

--Ken
If you right click on the taskbar you should see a menu appear that lists, from the top,
  • Toolbars
  • Search
  • News and Interests
  • Show Cortana Button
  • and about ten more.
What do you see when you right click on the task bar?

Real Name
Ken
If you right click on the taskbar you should see a menu appear that lists, from the top,
  • Toolbars
  • Search
  • News and Interests
  • Show Cortana Button
  • and about ten more.
What do you see when you right click on the task bar?
Everything but News and Interests. I am not sure where the control for that feature is, but perhaps I shut it off when I set up Win10.

--Ken

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Everything but News and Interests. I am not sure where the control for that feature is, but perhaps I shut it off when I set up Win10.

--Ken
That is the feature that is displayed in the area just to the left of the caret. This is how it looks if one selects the option to just have the icon:
1626205407516.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It is wider with the default option which also has some text.

You seem to have it disabled. You can go to your Microsoft account and "manage your interests".

Real Name
Ken
That is the feature that is displayed in the area just to the left of the caret. This is how it looks if one selects the option to just have the icon:
View attachment 1686386
It is wider with the default option which also has some text.

You seem to have it disabled. You can go to your Microsoft account and "manage your interests".
I have nothing to the left of the caret, but previously had the HP app there. After these various updates, that (the HP icon) got pushed to the right by about an inch. I suspect that you are correct that this News feature is disabled, but I am fine with that. I did look at my account, but did not see anything controlling it. I did not log into an online account, but since the HP app still works without having to be on the tool bar, I will leave things well enough alone.

Thanks again, Richard.(y)

--Ken

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I have nothing to the left of the caret, but previously had the HP app there. After these various updates, that (the HP icon) got pushed to the right by about an inch. I suspect that you are correct that this News feature is disabled, but I am fine with that. I did look at my account, but did not see anything controlling it. I did not log into an online account, but since the HP app still works without having to be on the tool bar, I will leave things well enough alone.

Thanks again, Richard.(y)

--Ken
I don't login with a Microsoft account, but I do give my computers access to my Microsoft account.
I suspect that if you did the same, the feature would appear.
I think you are wise to leave well alone. The news feature isn't very good and I immediately configured it to require a click to open, as otherwise it keeps popping up if the mouse happens to move over it.

I'll show you what the screens look like for me.
Here is what I see if I go to Settings/Accounts/Info
1626215512579.png

Here is what I see if I go to Settings/Accounts/Email and accounts (I have obscured my email address):
1626215727520.png

Real Name
Ken
I don't login with a Microsoft account, but I do give my computers access to my Microsoft account.
I suspect that if you did the same, the feature would appear.
I think you are wise to leave well alone. The news feature isn't very good and I immediately configured it to require a click to open, as otherwise it keeps popping up if the mouse happens to move over it.

I'll show you what the screens look like for me.
Here is what I see if I go to Settings/Accounts/Info
View attachment 1686396

Here is what I see if I go to Settings/Accounts/Email and accounts (I have obscured my email address):
View attachment 1686397
The latter of the two is not displaying any accounts for me. I am assuming that is fine, but suspect it will change when I update my Office software since I have an O365 (now M365) plan and want to eventually add this machine.

Thanks,

--Ken

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom