Windows 10 version 21H1

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I just upgraded my four machines here from Windows 10 version 20H2 to version 21H1. Fast, simple and no problems at all.

Go to Windows Update and you may find you are offered it already as an optional upgrade. This is a really fast simple upgrade as the main operating system files have not been changed. So you just choose to do the update like any other update, and it is all done in 5 to 10 minutes. You may then find other updates get offered, and I accepted those too, so the whole process took about 20 minutes for each computer.

Unlike all previous Windows version updates, nothing got changed at all and evrything still works perfectly.

I did the update and your right it was fast and simple. Now the question is "what did this do for us?" I haven't really noticed that it changed anything.

Real Name
Don Roy
I'm retired IBM and worked testing pre-release of new hardware and software for my whole career. So, I've been on the 'Windows Insider Program' all along. Risk is minimal if you do daily backups, which I actually have not needed to rely on in a few years.

If I turn off the 'news and interests' that right hand part of my task bar comes and goes / unstable. Leaving it on with 'show icon only' keeps the right side of the task bar stable.

Got 21H1 running on 4 of 5 of my+friend's Windows machines, with all updates. The fifth machine, update was not offered via 'settings' but I did the forced update from the Microsoft website. Made a image backup before that, thankfully.
Very long time to download and the install also took about an hour with several automatic reboots along the way. (Much easier update on the other 4 machines).

Clearly that old machine is not ready for the new version. At first it would not let me log on (complaint from the logon service), after fiddling / rebooting a few times and getting logged on, half the programs I use were no longer available, main screen and taskbar horribly defective as well. Rolled it back to previous version with the backup and all is OK again.

Real Name
Ken
I am running 19041.985 and had a massive issues from KB5003637 causing constant BSOD's among other things. I was finally able to track down this KB and uninstall it, but I am wondering if an update to 21H1 might prevent his issue from returning as the KB contained a security update and keeps coming back.

--Ken

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I am running 19041.985 and had a massive issues from KB5003637 causing constant BSOD's among other things. I was finally able to track down this KB and uninstall it, but I am wondering if an update to 21H1 might prevent his issue from returning as the KB contained a security update and keeps coming back.

--Ken
Sounds a good idea. Take a backup and run the forced install if it isn't offered.

Latest threads

Top Bottom