Windows 11 - Anyone using it yet?

Now that Microsoft has started rolling out Windows 11, I just wanted to get some feedback from any Cafe users who updated their computers and have started using it. I'm using cc LR and Photoshop and the Topaz plugins so I'd be interested how that software is working (or not) with the new Windows edition. I still have to download a Bios update to my Asus motherboard so I can use TPM 2.0 but I'm in no rush to do it until I find out how Windows 11 is working. I'm using a 2010 edition of MS Office so if anyone has seen that software affected, i.e., unable to work, in Windows 11, I'd really appreciate the feedback. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I have installed it on my main computer and on my laptop. No problems at all. That isn't a surprise as it isn't really much different to Windows 10 apart from the Start Menu.
I have tried lots of software and it all works. I even have Windows XP and a version of UNIX running under Win 11, each in their own window (Using Oracle VM VirtualBox).

Also read the other thread about Win 11 in this section for more info:
https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/windows-11.329354/

Last edited:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I suggest you go ahead and make the BIOS change now so you can run the PC Health Check again and confirm that it meets all the requirements.
I didn't have to update my BIOS to enable TPM 2.0, I just had to change one setting in it - this is my note to myself after making the change which enabled TPM 2:

Peripherals
- Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT): Enable (previously disabled)

I suggest you go ahead and make the BIOS change now so you can run the PC Health Check again and confirm that it meets all the requirements.
I didn't have to update my BIOS to enable TPM 2.0, I just had to change one setting in it - this is my note to myself after making the change which enabled TPM 2:

Peripherals
- Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT): Enable (previously disabled)
Thanks for the feedback. I successfully updated the Bios but then couldn't install Windows 11. Things went well until I got the following message that blocked the installation: cFosSpeed Driver - Your PC has a service that isn't ready for this version of Windows 10. A new version is available. When I click on learn more, it takes me to a site where I can purchase and download a new $20 piece of software. I'm not real happy with that approach so I'm planning on contacting the company that built the computer for me next week.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Thanks for the feedback. I successfully updated the Bios but then couldn't install Windows 11. Things went well until I got the following message that blocked the installation: cFosSpeed Driver - Your PC has a service that isn't ready for this version of Windows 10. A new version is available. When I click on learn more, it takes me to a site where I can purchase and download a new $20 piece of software. I'm not real happy with that approach so I'm planning on contacting the company that built the computer for me next week.
You just need to uninstall it. Useless bloat. See here:
https://technclub.com/guides/windows-11-cfosspeed-driver-installation-failed-fix/

Thanks for the feedback. I went to the C Drive but couldn't locate the folder or driver referenced in the article. On a hunch, I checked the programs that were installed and came across Turbo Lan v10.24. I don't remember ever downloading and installing this program but when I deleted it I was able to install Windows 11 and the updates. The only problem I'm experiencing is that it takes up to 30 seconds for my wife to log into her Microsoft account. I spent several hours with a Microsoft representative but the fixes she did haven't had much of an impact on the log-in times, particularly when we are logging in from my account to her account. For now we're just going to live with it and see if the log in times improve. I could try deleting her account and then set it up again from scratch but that's a pain and I definitely don't want to reinstall Windows 11. As Roseannadanna used to say, "It's always something, if it's not one thing it's another".

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Thanks for the feedback. I went to the C Drive but couldn't locate the folder or driver referenced in the article. On a hunch, I checked the programs that were installed and came across Turbo Lan v10.24. I don't remember ever downloading and installing this program but when I deleted it I was able to install Windows 11 and the updates. The only problem I'm experiencing is that it takes up to 30 seconds for my wife to log into her Microsoft account. I spent several hours with a Microsoft representative but the fixes she did haven't had much of an impact on the log-in times, particularly when we are logging in from my account to her account. For now we're just going to live with it and see if the log in times improve. I could try deleting her account and then set it up again from scratch but that's a pain and I definitely don't want to reinstall Windows 11. As Roseannadanna used to say, "It's always something, if it's not one thing it's another".
She should have her own computer - that would solve it!

I downloaded the ISO from Microsoft’s site, and did a clean install. The only difference I have noticed is that my computer, a Microsoft surface pro, now connects to the Wi-Fi much faster after waking from sleep. Other than that, all of my programs, including photoshop, all run fine.

I downloaded the ISO from Microsoft’s site, and did a clean install. The only difference I have noticed is that my computer, a Microsoft surface pro, now connects to the Wi-Fi much faster after waking from sleep. Other than that, all of my programs, including photoshop, all run fine.
Dave - I don't see any change the operating speed on my PC. The only weird thing was my wife's login and that's fixed itself so it's all good.

My Dell laptop says that it meets the minimum requirements for Windows 11 but that it will be offered to me at a later time. Also, I've done the PC Health check and it passes that. Is there a way I can install it now? Or should I wait till it comes up on the Windows Update screen for my machine. I have no compelling reason to need it now, I just think that new software is always fun.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
My Dell laptop says that it meets the minimum requirements for Windows 11 but that it will be offered to me at a later time. Also, I've done the PC Health check and it passes that. Is there a way I can install it now? Or should I wait till it comes up on the Windows Update screen for my machine. I have no compelling reason to need it now, I just think that new software is always fun.
Yes, you can upgrade very easily right now.
You don't need to join the Windows Insider program, you can install the released version.
Don't follow these instructions unless you have checked your PC passes the PC Health check.

Go to the official Microsoft Windows 11 download site here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11
You can simply press the first button that says Download Now:
1634935724105.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Then it takes you through the upgrade.

Or you can do what I do and do the download just once so I can use it for several computers, and press the second button:
1634935890115.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The text implies that maybe you can't do a normal upgrade that keeps your data and programs, but you can, just read my instructions below.
The next bit is very important.
After creating the media on a USB stick you plug in the USB stick while running Windows 10, and run the file setup.exe that is on the stick. Follow the instructions, and in my case 30 minutes later I was running Windows 11.
What you must NOT do is boot from the USB stick and install Windows 11 that way. If you do that you will do a clean install and lose everything - you will need to reinstall all your software and settings.

Have fun.

You don't need to join the Windows Insider program, you can install the released version.
Don't follow these instructions unless you have checked your PC passes the PC Health check.

View attachment 1691860

Or you can do what I do and do the download just once so I can use it for several computers, and press the second button:
View attachment 1691862
The text implies that maybe you can't do a normal upgrade that keeps your data and programs, but you can, just read my instructions below.
After creating the media on a USB stick you plug in the USB stick while running Windows 10, and run the file setup.exe that is on the stick. Follow the instructions, and in my case 30 minutes later I was running Windows 11.
What you must NOT do is boot from the USB stick and install Windows 11 that way. If you do that you will do a clean install and lose everything - you will need to reinstall all your software and settings.

Have fun.
Thank you, Richard. It was very kind of you to share such detailed instructions. I'll give it a try when I have some time. I'm not sure I have a USB stick any longer. I may need to buy one.

View attachment 1691860

View attachment 1691862

Have fun.
Richard - This is outstanding advice for anyone who hasn't installed the Windows 11 update. The Installation Assistant installed Windows 11 on my PC seamlessly once I had updated my bios and deleted a software application with an outdated driver that was blocking the Windows 11 installation.

For folks who have an Asus motherboard, they can go to the following site to see whether the bios for their motherboard has been updated for Windows 11: https://www.asus.com/microsite/motherboard/ASUS-motherboards-Win11-ready/ Once they update their bios, TPN 2.0 will be enabled and they will be able to install Windows 11 assuming their computer meets the other specifications for the Win 11 installation. For Asus motherboard users, there is also a pretty good video that lays out how to update the bios at the following link: https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008276/ I watched it a couple of times, followed its instruction, and updated my bios with no problem. I hope this information is helpful.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom