Windows 11 is announced

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Microsoft have announced that Windows 11 is coming, although the dates for the gradual roll-out are not yet clear. Some should get it later this year.
It will be a free upgrade for those on Windows 10. This upgrade won't be possible if their computer can't run Windows 11.

There doesn't seem to be anything very exciting about Windows 11. An improved UI. A better Start Menu. Read more at this link, and scroll down and download the app that tests your computer for compatibility:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11

Now run the app and find out. The most likely compatibility problems you will hit are:
  1. A CPU that is too old. You need an 8th generation Intel Core CPU or similar AMD. In rough terms this means a computer that you bought new in 2018 or later.
  2. TPM 2. Many computers of 2018 or later may well have TPM 2 support. TPM is a security feature.
My new Acer laptop with an 11th generation i7 CPU passed all the tests as one would expect.

Next I tried one of my two main machines. I upgraded them with new motherboards in 2018, and they have 8th generation i7 CPUs. It failed the TPM test. I booted into the BIOS and found the page where the entry "Intel Trusted Platform" was shown as disabled. I enabled it, saved, and rebooted. It then passed all the tests.

I have two older machines, both i7 processors, one 3rd generation and one 4th generation. These machines work fast and well. They date from 2013 and 2014. So I am disappointed they can't ever run Windows 11. One of them is in a standard case and could be upgraded with a new motherboard, the other is in a tiny case not suitable for upgrade.

I think a lot of individuals and businesses will be angry that perfectly good powerful machines, some only four years old, can't be upgraded to Win 11. But the good news is that Microsoft will be supporting Windows 10 until 2025. So the worst case is a machine bought in 2017 which will be just 8 years old in 2025. My two older machines will be 11 and 12 years old, so they will have met my minimum 10 year life rule by then. But imagine if you bought 10,000 machines in 2017 and just found out you need to budget for replacing them all in 2025.

I love new technology and will be upgrading my three compatible machines to Win 11 as soon as I am able. Perhaps it will finally have a Start Menu that is acceptable to me.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
I think a lot of individuals and businesses will be angry that perfectly good powerful machines, some only four years old, can't be upgraded to Win 11. But the good news is that Microsoft will be supporting Windows 10 until 2025. So the worst case is a machine bought in 2017 which will be just 8 years old in 2025. My two older machines will be 11 and 12 years old, so they will have met my minimum 10 year life rule by then. But imagine if you bought 10,000 machines in 2017 and just found out you need to budget for replacing them all in 2025.
Many business replace machines after 5 years or so. I don't imagine this will be as huge a shock as you anticipate. Most of these systems are depreciated over 3, 4, or 5 years.

So no security updates as of oct-25 ... not an issue for most folks

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Many business replace machines after 5 years or so. I don't imagine this will be as huge a shock as you anticipate. Most of these systems are depreciated over 3, 4, or 5 years.
I know and I agree. And an excuse for a technology refresh is always useful.
But it does rather depend on how wealthy the organisation is.

I have an iMac and a Dell.....best of both worlds I guess. My Dell laptop is compatible. Now hopefully the genealogy software that I purchased my Dell for will also be compatible.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I have an iMac and a Dell.....best of both worlds I guess. My Dell laptop is compatible. Now hopefully the genealogy software that I purchased my Dell for will also be compatible.
Microsoft say that 99.7% of software that runs on Win 10 will run on Win 11. I'm sure your software will be fine.
I suspect that the other 0.3% will be software that hits the hardware directly or does things it really shouldn't by poking around inside the operating system. There is a strong emphasis on improved security.

But the good news is that Microsoft will be supporting Windows 10 until 2025. So the worst case is a machine bought in 2017 which will be just 8 years old in 2025.

That is not good news !!!!!

Read more at this link, and scroll down and download the app that tests your computer for compatibility:

this app has been removed from the link you gave us

JLH

Oh well!
To be honest I have a lot of computers...it was a work thing as both the wife and I worked from home and needed "spares" just in case. (everything breaks sooner or later). We now bounce between Win 8.1 and Win10 depending on which machine we are using. When Win 10 first came out I had tried it and hated it. Most of it was due to the early bugs and the fact I had put it on an older machine. I couldn't risk bombing one of my good work computers that I depended on. Since then Win 10 has improved and we run it on a four of our machines without issue. BUT, I have some important, and pricey, software on my power computer and it runs on Win 8.1 but not Win 10. I can't give that up. So, I am in no hurry to rush into Win 11.
I will do what I normally do in this situation.....which is to do nothing just yet. As long as my current machines keep running I will leave them as they are. When the time comes down the road that new software that I need or want requires Win 11 then I will go with a newer machine. Hopefully by the time that happens Microsoft might have worked the kinks out. I am too old and have lived though too many software changes where Microsoft brings a new software or OS to market and then spends the next year or two fixing all the mistakes they made and dumped on our computers.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Read more at this link, and scroll down and download the app that tests your computer for compatibility:

this app has been removed from the link you gave us
That app didn't stay there long! Now it says "Coming soon". They must have had a problem with it. Inadequate testing.

Windows 11 seems very much like Windows 10.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
BUT, I have some important, and pricey, software on my power computer and it runs on Win 8.1 but not Win 10. I can't give that up.
Windows 8.1 ends its extended support life in January 2023 so time is running out.

I'm surprised there is software for 8.1 that really can't be made to run on 10? Even using the compatibility settings?

Real Name
Heiko
I run Windows 10 in a virtual machine on a Linux host using VGA passthrough. Been doing that the last 9 years (starting with Windows 7). The only use I have for Windows is running LR/PS. All the rest I can do on Linux with less headache.

I wonder if the app will recognize and approve my running Windows in a virtual machine? I own an expensive Windows retail license that allows me to install Windows in a VM.

About two years ago Microsoft started to urge users to use the Microsoft account to login into Windows. I refused to do so and they gave me problems when I reinstalled Windows in a new virtual machine. I have very little sympathy with companies that try to force their way into my computer. Next thing they demand the house alarm code, credit card details and PIN, etc.

Anyway, I hope Windows 11 isn't forcing users to authenticate using the Microsoft account. That would be about as safe as publishing the password on the Internet. This is not specifically aimed at Microsoft - Google, Yahoo, etc. all have been hacked at least once.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
About two years ago Microsoft started to urge users to use the Microsoft account to login into Windows. I refused to do so and they gave me problems when I reinstalled Windows in a new virtual machine. I have very little sympathy with companies that try to force their way into my computer. Next thing they demand the house alarm code, credit card details and PIN, etc.

Anyway, I hope Windows 11 isn't forcing users to authenticate using the Microsoft account. That would be about as safe as publishing the password on the Internet. This is not specifically aimed at Microsoft - Google, Yahoo, etc. all have been hacked at least once.
My solution is to always install using a Microsoft account. Once everything is working then I change it to a local account. Like you I hate the idea of being dependent on anything outside my control.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Here is a link to an unofficial program that checks your computer for Windows 11 compatibility:
https://github.com/rcmaehl/WhyNotWin11/releases/tag/2.3.0.1
Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on WhyNotWin11.exe to download. Then run it - Smartscreen will give a warning which you can ignore. Here is the result from my main machine:
1625006417918.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

So much for Windows 10 being the last OS from Microsoft like they said it would.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom