Windows 11 is announced

Real Name
Don Roy
The install went fine. I just got wrapped up on a web site PHP programming crisis after getting 11 on (I do the web site for my Jeep club). I'm retired from IBM. Got my first IBM PC on employee discount in 1982. I've been on the bleeding edge of DOS/Windows upgrades for 38 years now, and can't wait for every one of them! [Wrote this on Win 11, Edge browser!]

Last edited:
The install went fine. I just got wrapped up on a web site PHP programming crisis after getting 11 on (I do the web site for my Jeep club). I'm retired from IBM. Got my first IBM PC on employee discount in 1982. I've been on the bleeding edge of DOS/Windows upgrades for 38 years now, and can't wait for every one of them! [Wrote this on Win 11, Edge browser!]
🍾🥃🍷
Never doubted you a second! But great excuse to drink. (Water for now. . .)

I agree about the OS driving the hardware.
Being CHEAP, if I don't have to upgrade the computer, I don't.
And just how much CPU power do you need to do word processing and spreadsheets?
For me, web browsing and photo editing are what takes CPU power.
  • I still have an old laptop that is stuck at and runs standalone XP, and it works just fine, for what I use it for, word processing and spreadsheet.
  • I have another laptop that is likewise stuck at Win7. And for what very limited out of the house use I use it for, it works just fine.
  • I've been dragging my feed on a Win10 laptop, and now the foot dragging pays off. Next laptop will be Win11 compatible, so it does not get left behind.
My desktop (mid-tower) is likely to not be Win11 compatible, so I may have to upgrade the HW, or just stay on Win10.
I can't run the MS update checker. It complains because the computer is on a domain.
I've had a domain at home since NT-4, when I built it to learn domain admin for work. But now that I am retired, I have no need for a domain, so will eventually convert to a peer-to-peer workgroup, to eliminate the overhead of a domain.​
Once I convert to a workgroup, then I can run the MS update checker.​

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I can't run the MS update checker. It complains because the computer is on a domain.
I've had a domain at home since NT-4, when I built it to learn domain admin for work. But now that I am retired, I have no need for a domain, so will eventually convert to a peer-to-peer workgroup, to eliminate the overhead of a domain.​
Once I convert to a workgroup, then I can run the MS update checker.​
You can run the third party open checker I linked to above.

Real Name
Don Roy
I agree about the OS driving the hardware.
Being CHEAP, if I don't have to upgrade the computer, I don't.
And just how much CPU power do you need to do word processing and spreadsheets?
For me, web browsing and photo editing are what takes CPU power.
Microsoft's line in the sand for hardware and Win 11 seems more about vintage that power. If the CPU is more than maybe 3 yrs old, it's not on the approved CPU list. I have a less than 2 yr old gen1 MS Surface Go and it's not 11 approved, only the gen2 Go.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom