Windows 11 -

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Topics: Image Backups made by Macrium
TPM requirements for Windows 11

Hopefully @Growltiger will clean this up to be totally accurate! LOL! Thanks, Rickard!

My understanding is that Windows 11 requires changing BIOS settings such that using disk images made with Macrium Reflect will no longer work without changing the BIOS settings back to what they were. Since I like things to be simple, this was enough to cause me to decide NOT to upgrade to Windows 11 - at least for the foreseeable future.

Currently a PC Health Check is saying that my 1 year old PC is not compatible with Windows 11. The reason given is that TPM2.0 is not detected. I guess it might be that TPM has not been enabled. I know that a call to Puget Computer Systems could help me diagnose this, but wonder if I should bother considering that I'm not eager to convert to Windows 11 for the reason listed above.

As long as the TPM issue isn't fix, will this prevent MS from installing Windows 11 on my machine? Or should I do something to prevent installation of Windows 11?

Thanks!

Besides my CPU being too OLD for Win11, which was the show-stopper.

The check also said I need to reconfigure how my BIOS manages the disk.
BUT . . . to do that will require a full reinstall of EVERYTHING on ALL my internal drives, basically doing a new install. ARGH !!!

In your case, you would probably simply take another image backup, after reconfiguring the computer and doing the Win11 update. You have to confirm this with Macrium.
Although if TPM2.0 is like what is wrong with my computer, and you have as much "stuff" as I do, that reconfiguring will be PAINFUL.

Win11 should NOT auto install.
It should be like the Win7 to Win10 update, where YOU had to execute the update.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen

BUT . . . to do that will require a full reinstall of EVERYTHING on ALL my internal drives, basically doing a new install. ARGH !!!

In your case, you would probably simply take another image backup, after reconfiguring the computer and doing the Win11 update. You have to confirm this with Macrium.
Although if TPM2.0 is like what is wrong with my computer, and you have as much "stuff" as I do, that reconfiguring will be PAINFUL.

It should be like the Win7 to Win10 update, where YOU had to execute the update.
Here is a link from Puget Systems. They generally provide excellent information. I believe they recommend a clean install, which requires re-installing all other apps. But I think you can "try" updating instead.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Topics: Image Backups made by Macrium
TPM requirements for Windows 11

Hopefully @Growltiger will clean this up to be totally accurate! LOL! Thanks, Rickard!

My understanding is that Windows 11 requires changing BIOS settings such that using disk images made with Macrium Reflect will no longer work without changing the BIOS settings back to what they were. Since I like things to be simple, this was enough to cause me to decide NOT to upgrade to Windows 11 - at least for the foreseeable future.

Currently a PC Health Check is saying that my 1 year old PC is not compatible with Windows 11. The reason given is that TPM2.0 is not detected. I guess it might be that TPM has not been enabled. I know that a call to Puget Computer Systems could help me diagnose this, but wonder if I should bother considering that I'm not eager to convert to Windows 11 for the reason listed above.

As long as the TPM issue isn't fix, will this prevent MS from installing Windows 11 on my machine? Or should I do something to prevent installation of Windows 11?

Thanks!

Booting Macrium
I don't see how there can be an issue trying to boot from an optical disk or USB to do Macrium recovery. This is determined by your BIOS settings and those won't be changed.

TPM 2 issue
Go into your BIOS and go through the menus looking for mention of TPM, or more likely under this name: "Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT)".

This is my note to myself after making the change which enabled TPM 2:

Peripherals
- Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT): Enable (previously disabled)

Then run the PC Health Check again. Even if you don't want to install Win 11 now, it would be nice to know that it is compatible.

Upgrading to Win 11
I suggest you simply wait until Microsoft does it for you.
Many people recommend a clean install but I can't see the point unless you are such a messy person that it is needed to tidy up the mess - and I'm sure you are a very tidy person, like me!

I have just downloaded Win 11 to a USB and am about to do the upgrade, keeping all my programs and data. One must run setup.exe on the USB while running Windows, as booting from the USB only allows a clean install.
(Never install Win 11 from a USB unless the PC completely passes the PC Health Check. It may work but then all updates will be blocked as the PC is not supported.)
I'll let you know how it goes.
PS. Yes, I have a Macrium backup.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator

You can change the disk formats without needing to reinstall anything, I could look it up.
But since your CPU is too old, it isn't worth investigating. At least you are OK until 2025 and by then you may feel like a new computer, or it may have died anyway.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
The upgrade completed and my main computer is now running Win 11 with no problems.
I upgraded from the installation media I had installed on a USB. The upgrade took 40 minutes with no problems. All the software is running just like it was an hour ago on Windows 10. This really isn't a very significant upgrade, nothing to get excited about.

@Butlerkid - I just did a test, I shut down the computer and booted from the Macrium recovery disk, which is a USB. No problems at all, it boots and runs as expected. (I had to plug in a USB mouse to work it as my normal mouse is Bluetooth.) So no problems at all, and there would be no need to do anything special to the BIOS to run a recovery.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
@Growltiger .. I wonder if the TPM setting only makes a difference when the boot drive is encrypted since the key for the disk encryption is stored in the trusted key store in the TPM module.
Very likely. I think Microsoft are testing for the capability of the computer to support TPM 2.0, but it is isn't actually used by default.
The change I made to the BIOS to enable it was under Peripherals:
- Intel Platform Trust Technology (PTT): Enable (previously disabled)

Real Name
Tim
I've been running it for a while (preview program) on both my desktop and laptop (after TPM was enabled)....I upgraded both without issue and the updates have been coming pretty regularly. Neither was a fresh install. If I had to start clean I think I'd go insane... :p

As a note, my laptop CPU is "not supported" (i7-7700 mobile proc) but it installed anyway. Not sure why MS narrowed the CPU requirements so harshly - I just bought that laptop 3 years ago and have no intention of replacing it. Everything else was fine (including supporting TPM 2.0)....

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I just updated my new laptop to Win 11. It took only 30 minutes and was painless.
Really encouraging news, Richard. If going to Windows 11 won't "break" my current process of making image back ups nor prevent booting via my Macrium DVD to then designate an image to restore to on an external HD, then I'm willing to try updating to Windows 11. WHEN I return from travel......meaning early December.

Hopefully this thread will be helpful to others wondering whether or not to update to Windows 11.

Thanks for the thread.
All my laptops and desktop fail the test on one criteria or another.
Not too worried since they are mostly backup machines to my macOS backup machines.
Still would have liked to play with one.

Latest threads

Top Bottom