Windows /3gb switch

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Photo_Pro, May 14, 2007.

1. Does anyone use the /3gb switch in the Windows Boot.ini file that allows Photoshop to access up to 3gb of RAM as opposed to the standard 2gb?

2. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    only works with 64-bit xp pro

3. Sorry, Lowolf, but it is a valid switch for the 32 bit XP. Check out the Microsoft Knowledge Base to confirm. I have tried it and it does work. The amount of Windows memory available to Photoshop increases to 3gb. My posting was to hear back from anyone who had a poor experience with its' use.

4. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
    John,
    I fought with this switch for about 2 days. I don't know if I just had fat fingers or I didn't type the syntax just right. I finally got it to take. I couldn't tell a difference though. I did run it for about 6 months with no problems. I just recently went to xp x64 since the drivers were finally available. Same system but did notice a little speed increase increase.

Larry

5. I notice what appears to be less disk caching and as a result, speedier completion of tasks.

The correct place to put the switch is on the operating system line:

[operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /3GB

6. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi john-

thanks for the info, i'll give it a try and see if there's any difference.

ricky

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.