Windows Defender not working after Windows Update

I am on Windows 8.1 and ran a Windows Update last night before shutting down my PC (laptop). This morning when I started my laptop Windows Defender is not running. I get a message:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

How do I get it to start. When I went to the Action Center under security I do not see Windows Defender anymore. By the way I am also running Malwarebytes Premium version 4.04 and I do see Malwarebytes in the Action Center.

Please help me.

Thanks.

I may be wrong, but I think Windows won't allow you to run both anymore. If you are running Malwarebytes Pro, Defender is turned off. Same thing happened to me on Windows 10. Probably Microsoft's method of trying to force folks to use their software, not third party.

I trust Malwarebytes more than I trust Microsoft, so I run Malwarbytes Pro on all my machine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you Fred for jumping in. I used to run Kaspersky until now but I gave it up and went back to Windows Defender. Initially it would not let me run Defender and I had to uninstall MBAM completely for Defender to work. Things ran fine till I did the Windows update last night.

Do you think MBAM Pro is enough protection against all kinds of malware? I am waiting for Richard (Growltiger) or someone else also, who can offer their opinions.

Thanks

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I would not dream of relying on Malwarebytes only. It is much more targeted at all malware than just the most dangerous, the viruses and trojans etc.
Get Windows Defender working again (I've sent you some suggestions), doing whatever it takes.

If the real-time component of the latest Malwarebytes (V4) is conflicting with Defender, then turn off the real-time protection, reboot, and make sure Defender is then running.

I would not dream of relying on Malwarebytes only. It is much more targeted at all malware than just the most dangerous, the viruses and trojans etc.
Get Windows Defender working again (I've sent you some suggestions), doing whatever it takes.

If the real-time component of the latest Malwarebytes (V4) is conflicting with Defender, then turn off the real-time protection, reboot, and make sure Defender is then running.

Richard - could you share those suggestions you sent here, or send them to me as well? I have the same issue with Windows 10. I'd like to run both, but as I stated above - if I have to choose... When both were running, Malwarebytes detected things that Defender never even noticed, so I am really hesitant to trust MS Defender alone.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Richard - could you share those suggestions you sent here, or send them to me as well? I have the same issue with Windows 10. I'd like to run both, but as I stated above - if I have to choose... When both were running, Malwarebytes detected things that Defender never even noticed, so I am really hesitant to trust MS Defender alone.
We found a simple and good solution, here it is:

Stop Malwarebytes from Turning Off Windows Defender
If installing Malwarebytes Premium disables Windows Defender or your 3rd party antivirus software, you’ll need to change a setting in Malwarebytes. Follow these steps:

Open Malwarebytes, and click Settings.
  • In the Application tab, scroll down to Windows Action Center section.

• There are 3 options you can choose from:
    1. Let Malwarebytes apply the best Windows Action Center settings based on your system (recommended): Configures Malwarebytes to co-exist with current antivirus software. If no antivirus solution is present, Malwarebytes registers with the Action Center. For example, with this setting enabled, Malwarebytes will not register when Microsoft Security Essentials is in use on a Windows 7 or older operating system. It will also not register when Windows Defender is used on a Windows 8, Windows 10 or newer OS.
    2. Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Center: Configures Malwarebytes to always alongside your third-party antivirus every time and not register with Windows Action Center.
    3. Always register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Center: This setting causes Malwarebytes to register as a security application in Windows Action Center irrespective of the state (and existence) of the antivirus program.
While the default setting works for most users, if you encounter conflicts with Windows Defender or third-party anti-virus, choose Never register Malwarebytes in the Windows Action Center option in Malwarebytes and restart Windows. After restarting Windows, your anti-virus program (e.g., Windows Defender) should start/enable automatically.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom