Windows Repair Install

FIle this under just in case. My Windows 8.1 install was 4 years old in February, plus whatever length of time Windows 8.0 existed before that (probably 2 years), so a bit long in the tooth. Generally things were fine but with a niggle here and there.

NIggle 1: In October of 2018 I happened on a new copy of some old software, FreeHand MX, that I had never purchased as an upgrade to my FreeHand 9. My joy was tempered a bit though because it would not install on Windows 8.1 but it installed just fine on Windows 10. The reported error had to do with Installshield and, after trying what few fixes I could find, I just resigned myself to running it under Win 10. No big deal, no real inconvenience, same computer (dual boot).

Niggle 2: More recently I've had some odd gremlins appear, like my computer hanging at the Restart screen or not being able to update software because an old .exe file could not be deleted (I have a work-around for that, but still...). A couple of apps that are supposed to launch with Windows stopped doing so. Last week I found I was unable to launch Photoshop from Bridge or, if PS was already running, I could not open a second file in it from Bridge. A reboot fixed it but still... enough was enough.

I did a brief search and came up with this: Non-destructive reinstall of Windows 8, 8.1 and 10
The process is about what you go through when doing an upgrade/inplace install, the kind where you keep all your software intact, as opposed to a clean install which wipes everything and subjects you to the "joy" of reinstalling and reconfiguring everything to your liking. I think pushing pins in my eyes would be preferable. The instructions were mostly not needed except for the warning NOT to launch setup at boot from the bootable Windows media. Apparently the only option if you do so is a clean install, at least for Win 8, not sure about 10. The whole process took a little under 2 hours (including installing updates) and now, a few days into the redo, everything seems like it's back to normal.

This morning I was even able to install FreeHand MX. :)

Last edited:
Real Name
Randy
I don't mind reinstalling apps considering how much better they will run. When I do a win10 reinstall I only leave my data, most of which is on a 2nd drive anyway. I prefer to use MS' mainstream approach 'reset this pc'.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why not upgrade your Win 8.1 system to Win 10? You will have to one day.
I already did, it's dual boot as I mentioned. I configured it as a dual boot system back when I first installed Win10 so I could set up the new OS at my leisure while still running WIn8. Once it was done I decided to leave the Win8 side intact for whatever reason and now I've grown to like it this way.

Or just dump windows!
Yeah, no. I did the Mac thing last century and that's where that memory belongs. No offense, it's not for me.

Real Name
Don Roy
When it won't boot, I restore yesterdays Acronis backup. If I 'feel' the system is dirty, I don't mind at all to do a full clean install to a formatted C: drive (photos and docs and such are on D:). I do screen shots of the Apps list before a clean install as a reminder of that was there, and then download any needed app install files. With a reinstall, I'm usually at full function and a couple hours. I seem to get the start over urge every couple years.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom