Critique Wine: 2012 Famiglia Castellani Chianti Classico Riserva

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Mike Buckley, Jan 11, 2018.

1. This Chianti is 100% Sangiovese. Regulations require it to be at least 80% Sangiovese.

This is the first time I remember photographing a bottle that has the embossed dots at the bottom centered so well on the label. It's also lucky that the DOCG label on the neck is so nicely centered. For both to be centered on the same bottle is mind-boggling.

Setup
    The tabletop is gold presentation paper and the background is a wrinkled gold reflector. Capture #1 was for all of the bottle except the label. Capture #2 was for the background and tabletop using the largest aperture to throw them out of focus. For those first two captures, a small continuous-light lamp fitted with a flag to control light falling on the background was high above the scene on the right. A white reflector on the left added the reflection to the left side of the bottle to add interest and to help define shape. Capture #3 was for the label. The lamp was in the same position as the other captures but three white reflectors were positioned around the label to brighten the metallic decorations relatively symmetrically.

Mike 2018-01-11--006-S.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  2. Beautifully done shot Mike, the shot brings out the golden label perfectly, a radiant image.

Makes me want to make a batch of pasta and grate a lot of Parmigiano-Reggiano.

3. What a shiny and clear image Mike! IMO it is one of your best single bottle images.

4. I really like this one--the wine and the image :)  The complimentary gold is such a great touch.
    I tasted a 2015 Badia a Coltibuono Chianti Classico last night. But darn it, the DOCG label was not centered!

5. Thanks, everyone!

I unsuccessfully tried tearing one away from the foil before I found the one bottle that had the centered DOCG label. Better yet, it was also possible to rotate the foil because the DOCG label wasn't on the glass. That with the centered embossed dots at the bottom of the bottle is just an unbelievably uncommon set of circumstances.

When you get around to photographing wine bottles, consider using Goo Gone to remove rear labels when they get in the way of making a photo. I've never tried it for removing a regulatory label from the foil but I think it would work.

6. Well done, Mike. Looks like an excellent wine, too.

My only critique: I would tone down the highlights just a bit. But that is mostly a matter of taste.

7. Thanks, Jim!

I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know. I do know that at only $14 per bottle for a riserva, I can't go very wrong.

That would be an excellent choice in my mind if one is going for a somewhat different mood. Keep those ideas coming!

8. I had fun making these mostly documentary photos of parts of the rear label. I made them to record the black rooster as just another way of combining my photography and wine hobbies. (I had never photographed one in a close-up.) If you're interested in a short explanation of how the black rooster came to be the symbol of Chianti Classico, see The Legend of Chianti's Black Rooster (Gallo Nero)

The second photo is at a magnification ratio of about 1:1.5. It's interesting that though the material is paper, at such a large magnification it looks more like fabric.

Mike 2018-01-12--004-S.

Mike 2018-01-12--002-S.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.