Critique Wine aerator extraordinaire

Great friends gave this aerator-decanter to my wife and me for Christmas and this is the first time I used it. The wine pours through an aerator on its way to the decanter. If you want to aerate the wine a second time, you turn everything upside down and let the wine flow back into its bottle.

I was prepared to have to empty the bottle three or four times to get my keeper. My flash unit was able to fire and recycle seven times before the bottle emptied the first time and this is the third shot. No need to try another pour.

Setup
Capture #1: The tabletop is opaque, black, glossy plexiglass and the background is translucent vellum. A flash unit behind the background was shining toward the subject and camera. That lighting outlined the transparent glass and wine in dark tones.

Capture #2: The background was black poster board to ensure the empty wine bottle didn't look empty. A small continuous-light lamp above and on the left of the wine bottle lit it and the connector to the decanter. A white reflector on the right added a reflection to that side of the bottle and the connector.

Post-processing: The bottle and connector were moved from Capture #2 to Capture #1. The color in the background and tabletop was added. The spotlights are a texture from InfiniteTexturePanel.com. I got lucky that the vignette was the result of the lighting; I didn't have to add it.

Mike 2020-02-01--009-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Beautifully done, heck even the wrinkles in the background are diagonals that point into the image.
I have never seen that type of aerator, really really neat.
It is wonderful to see work where the technical parts of the process are so well understood, they let the creative side of the work shine through.
Gary

Thank you to Binnur and John!

So how was the wine
The wine is a Montepulciano d'Abruzzo. It was very enjoyable, though the aeration removed a bit of its character. When using an aerator that works on a principal of pouring wine through it, my experience is that it's like using a decanter on steroids. I always test a small amount of wine when using an aerator. The primary disadvantage of this particular aerator is that running only a small portion of the wine through it would require first pouring that portion into an empty wine bottle.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom