Share Wine and the Devil's Tail

As soon as this wine arrived with the shipment from my wine club, I knew I wanted to make this photo. My only disappointment is that it's not St. Patrick's Day. :D

Setup
Capture #1: The tabletop is white poster board and the background is translucent white plexiglass. A medium continuous-light lamp behind the background was facing the subject and camera. A small continuous-light lamp above and to the left of the subject lit it. A white reflector on the right added a reflection to that side of the bottle. A flashlight above the label and on the right brightened the large "A" on the label and created the shadow on the tabletop.

Capture #2: The small lamp was moved closer to the label and a white reflector placed on the tabletop in front of the bottle evenly lit most of the green swirl. A macro lens captured the left side of the label. The swirl from Capture #2 was moved to Capture #1.

Mike 2020-02-02--007-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
the swirl around the bottle. How was that done.
Using a macro lens, I photographed the left side of the label displaying the swirl in a second capture. Using layers in Photoshop CC:
  1. Selected the swirl.
  2. Moved the swirl to the first capture and placed it in the uppermost layer.
  3. Using the Eraser tool, deleted the swirl in two of the three places it was in front of the bottle, making it appear as if part of it is instead going behind the bottle.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom