1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique Wine and the DMZ

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Mike Buckley, May 16, 2018.

1. The demilitarized zone (DMZ) between North and South Korea has been in the news recently, including the morning I made this photo. However, this wine has nothing to do with that; fooled ya! Instead, it's a product of South Africa's winery, DeMorgenzon, which brands one of its series of wines, DMZ.

The winery is well-known not only in South Africa, but their products are also distributed internationally to 20 countries. Though America is one of those countries, I've seen it only in South Africa, which is where I enjoyed it. Indeed, I brought home the empty bottle so I could photograph it as a nice memento of our recent trip there. The wine is made of Shiraz, Grenache, Mourvedre, Viognier and our 195th wine grape species, Durif, which is another reason I wanted to photograph the bottle. EDIT: Nick pointed out that Durif is a synonym for Petite Sirah, so the species actually is not new to me.

The "Concerto" brand is named after the Baroque music played at the winery.

Photo #1 Setup
    The background and tabletop are red and grey presentation paper, respectively. A small continuous-light lamp above and slightly in front of the bottle lit the overall scene. A white reflector on the left side added the reflection to that side of the bottle. A second small lamp on the right and below the tabletop balanced the light in that area of the background with the rest of it. A flag between that lamp and the subject prevented light from falling on it. A polarizer minimized glare on the screw cap.

Photo #2 Setup
    The tabletop is grey presentation paper. A small continuous-light lamp was on the right side. A large, white reflector on the left side and at a 45-degree angle to the tabletop above the bottle brightened the label and smoothed out the transition from shadow tones to brighter tones on the left side of the label.

Mike 2018-05-16--003-S.
    NIKON D7000    35.0 mm f/2.0    35mm    f/16.0    8s    ISO 100

Mike 2018-05-16--004-S.
    NIKON D7000    35.0 mm f/2.0    35mm    f/16.0    1/1s    ISO 100

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  2. The background matches the label very well. South African wine names/labels have long intrigued me as being creative and playful and never taking themselves too seriously. I've always thought Durif was the other name for Petite Sirah.

3. Darn! My record-keeping failed me about that. You are absolutely correct. You even spelled Sirah correctly (instead of Syrah).

4. I have a friend who interned at Yalumba in Australia, several years ago. He came back saying Durif!

5. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Mike, I'll be amazed if you show a bottle of wine fron North Korea... o_O :sneaky: :whistle: 

Kind regards
    Klaus

6. billtils

billtils

Apr 3, 2018
    Mike, as you know I am a big fan of your B&W "glass" work, but the selection of colours in the set up here is superb. Like this one a lot.

7. Thanks, guys!

8. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    :wideyed: :wideyed: :wideyed: ...:hungover: 

Klaus

9. Looks like it was a real hit :spitoutdummy: :hungover: :vomit: 

10. Great colors and presentation Mike! The top of the bottle in the first image looks kind of soft, I don't know why?

11. Thanks, Binnur!

Good eye as always, Binnur! When I examined the full-size image at 100% after seeing your comment, I realized that the bottom of the foil is perfectly sharp and that everything above it is ever so slightly beyond the depth of field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.