Critique Wine: Brunello di Montalcino

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Mike Buckley, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Brunello di Montalcino is Italian red wine made in Tuscany from a particular clone of Sangiovese grapes and it is consistently my favorite version of Sangiovese. Over the years I've come to believe that Casisano Colombaio is a wonderful producer and have been a little disappointed every time I've tried a different brand. Wine Spectator rates the 2010 vintage one of the very best in the last 25 years, so I expect this wine to be outstanding.

Mike 2017-11-07--005-S.JPG

2. Mmmmmm. I think you have captured the richness and suppleness of the grape well with that red background. Exquisitely lit.

3. Lovely image. I see what you did there with the red corkscrew picking up the red from the label, but that modern metal design detracts a bit to my eye from the overall feel. I wonder if a wooden handled corkscrew like a laguiole might work better.
    61BvzVfpdhL._SL1500_.

4. I'll take that and a plate of chicken Vesuvio :)

5. Thank you to Nick and Mitchell!

I would just love to have that corkscrew, Mitchell, whether for photographic or wine-drinking purposes, but preferably both! That's also a very nice image you made of it. I love your use of very soft shadows, a favorite style of mine.

I always use whatever props I have around the house with the thinking that I'm partly documenting our household for fun. So, I'm never concerned if this or that prop isn't the ideal fit in a scene strictly for photographic concerns. I would put the red corkscrew in that category though it was the best fit immediately available when I made the photo.

Having said that, the engraving on the metal is one of the beautiful characteristics of your corkscrew. The best way to bring out that engraving is to display the metal in relatively bright tones, as you did so nicely. Indeed, that is almost always how I display bright, shiny metal in an image. However, doing so in my image of the wine would have been a distraction (I tried it). Though the metal in my corkscrew is more shiny than yours (and less nuanced as a result), using your corkscrew while properly displaying the metal also would have been a distraction at least to my eye.

To get back to your main point, I definitely agree that the wood handle in your corkscrew would have been really nice in the image. Any time an image introduces a bit of texture or color in a small area as the wooden handle would do, it always becomes a satisfying element for me. An all-brass corkscrew with a nice patina (not bright or shiny) such as the one owned by good friends of mine would also have been nicer.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  6. Thanks for teaching me that, as I had never heard of the dish. I looked up a recipe and completely agree that any Brunello would be an ideal pairing with chicken Vesuvio.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  7. Mike, not my photo or corkscrew. I borrowed that from the web to illustrate my point about the wooden handle.

8. How much does that corkscrew cost? I ask because just last night I saw an advertisement for a corkscrew that costs $650. (That zero is not a typo.)

9. All my wines can be unscrewed. I can buy lots my "screw top" wine for $650:)

10. Ain't that the truth! You might be humored by this photo that I made nearly two years ago.

Mike 2016-02-04--005-S.

11. Ive done that after my second bottle!

12. Beautiful shot of a great wine. The Laguiole Corkscrews come in two primary varieties - Chateau Laguiole and Laguiole en Aubrac. I'm fortunate to have both and I prefer the Chateau, it's a bit slimmer and less expensive (generally), but the the marquetry on the en Aubrac is beautiful. The Chateau in olivewood is available for about $159 with leather case. Both varieties work flawlessly and are made to last forever. They also represent one of the worlds best gifts, a lifetime tool that's a work of art.

35841183534_65d1b7cab0_c. Busy Bee by Ted, on Flickr

13. It may be just the lighting, Ted, but the style in your photo would work a lot better for me and would indeed be ideal if I had used it in my image of the wine. Thanks for sharing!

14. Excellent photo of a beautiful bottle, Mike. The red velvet background is the perfect complement.

15. Binnur

Binnur

Oct 4, 2017
    Izmir / Turkey
    Hi Mike. I'm glad that you started uploading your lovely wine bottle images. This one looks beautiful. Actually I'm happy with the red corkscrew because it is the same color as the red writings on the label. IMO it suits and completes the scene. Lighting is great as always and that shiny fabric looks beautiful in the BG.

16. Thank you to Jim and Binnur! The fabric that both of you mentioned is a pocket square made of silk, though polyester would have worked just as well. I've used my and my wife's clothing items many times as tabletops and backgrounds.