Critique Wine Bubbles, Legs and Prismatic Refraction

When I made the photo at https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/los-haroldos-malbec-reserva.321730/ , I mentioned that the bubbles in the wine are a beautiful purple. So, I decided to photograph them. I didn't have any idea that I would also get the best photo I've ever gotten of wine legs. The prismatic refraction in the out of focus bubbles is yet another unexpected bonus.

This is the 29th shot I made. I kept only this one out of 37 shots.

Setup
The background made of translucent white acrylic was lit from behind by a medium continuous-light lamp.

Mike 2020-04-11--029-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
And what did it taste like? :D

Love the transition from crystal sharp bubbles to out of focused. The dark surface of the wine looks like a rough sea calmed by using ND filters. All in all, a brilliantly conceived and executed image—you've earned another glass.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Nick!

And what did it taste like?
I'm not good at describing taste but I mentioned in the other thread that it's the best Malbec from Argentina I've ever had.

you've earned another glass.
Just one? I'm about to cook filet mignon that will be paired with this wine, so I'm looking forward to two small glasses of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Dave!

Am I seeing a blue cast in the white bg
That might be true, as I'm not good at seeing those subtleties. The background above the wine definitely has a red cast because of the wine on the insides of the front and rear parts of the glass's bowl. The background on the left side consistently has RGB values where G and B are within a value of 1 and R is within a value of 10 compared to G (example: R 216, G 225, B 226).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom