1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique Wine: Carmenere TAKE 2

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Mike Buckley, Nov 3, 2018.

1. I wasn't as happy as usual with my first image of this wine bottle. Binnur and I felt the label is so beautiful that it would be worthwhile giving it another go. So, I made this photo in a completely different style from the first photo. I'm much happier with this one.

When I was on my daily run, I picked up some newly fallen pine needles that still had their golden tones because they had not yet turned brown. Immediately upon coming upon them, I knew I wanted to use them to photograph this bottle. As I continued on my run, I planned the background. I made the photo the same day before the pine needles could turn.

EDIT: A second version in the form of a new crop is displayed later in the thread.

Setup
    First Capture: The background made of black presentation paper was lit from below by a small continuous-light lamp fitted with a yellow gel. The hue of the background was changed to golden tones during post-processing.

Second Capture: Another small continuous-light lamp on the front left lit the subject and tabletop, which was another piece of black presentation paper underneath the pine needles.

The background from the first capture was moved to the second capture.

Mike 2018-11-02--008-S.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Like the handling of the bottle and the straw a lot, but there's something about the background that doesn't quite work for me.

Possibly it's too contrasty, and the graininess of the background?

3. Thanks, Bill!

That's what I like about it; I designed the scene that way.

4. asaya

asaya

Aug 7, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Tony Saya
    Like it and I like the wine a Chile Brand

5. Thanks, Tony! Glad to know you like the wine, as I haven't tried it yet.

6. I prefer this crop because the aspect ratio emphasizes the wine bottle and pine needles.

Mike 2018-11-02--008B-S.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

7. As with the contents, it's all about taste :) .

8. I agree Mike. This accentuates the shape of the bottle and focuses the eyes.

9. Now that I've had this wine: It's very rich, which I would expect of any Carmenere, has lots of tannins, and is very complex. Ideal for sipping by the fire on a chilly night so long as you don't require the smooth characteristics that come with more expensive wines. Perhaps the best $10 wine I've ever had.

10. Good description and an equally great photo.

11. Thanks, Nick! It's only my second Carmenere. The first one is deserving of it $40 price tag.

12. This one looks excellent Mike. Great presentation. I actually find your first version better as it has more depth.Also the darkness in the BG suits the black color of the bottle and doesn't bother me.( The cropped version looks a bit tight at the top).

13. Thanks, Binnur!

Just for clarification: You mentioned that you prefer the first version. Are you referring to the version in the other thread which was made first or the first version in this thread?

14. The first version in this thread Mike.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.