1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique Wine: Close-up of label and screw cap

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Mike Buckley, Jul 5, 2018.

1. This label looks like it was printed on plain brown paper, so I used plain brown paper as the tabletop and background.

The wine is a fair value at a price of $22.

Setup
    The tabletop and background are a single sheet of brown paper. A small continuous-light lamp was above on the right side. A flag on the right side cast the shadow on the rear tabletop and background. A white reflector on the left cast the reflection on that side of the bottle and screw cap.

Mike 2018-07-05--004-S.
    NIKON D7000    35.0 mm f/2.0    35mm    f/18.0    3s    ISO 100

• Like Like x 1
  2. Have you tasted it Mike? The label and the screw cap remind me cheap,low quality wines. You sure presented it nicely as usual but IMO your subject doesn't match the quality of your presentation.

3. Thanks for the compliment, Binnur! The wine is enjoyable (nothing particularly special or bad about it).

Just yesterday I read about the impact of a wine label on consumers' perception of the quality of a wine and, ultimately, the sales volume of that wine. One example was that years ago when a company changed the style of its label, sales increased five-fold even though nothing about the approach to farming the grapes or making the wine changed. Many consumers believe a fun label, such as those with animals, imply that the wine is only fun, not serious, and might be a wine that is appropriate for large grocery stores and supermarkets rather than the specialty wine stores. Various generations of consumers, such as millennials and baby boomers, might react very differently to the same label. Americans get confused by wine names with strongly European names they don't understand; they don't want to risk buying a wine that might not be what they think it is. Add to that that I know from personal experience of talking with consumers in wine stores that some still believe (inaccurately so in my mind) that any wine bottle that has a screw cap no matter how nicely it is styled is an inferior wine. Interesting stuff!

4. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Like the subtle shadow/sidelight, just the right amount!

5. I think that's a great product photograph. The lighting and reflections and paper look good to me. Did you take any that are full length, to show the top of the bottle?

I appreciate that you shared your setup. What do you mean by "a flag on the right side"?

Kristin

6. Thanks, Kristin! Though I often photograph the entire wine bottle, I didn't make any photos of this bottle in that style. A flag in tabletop photography and other styles of studio photography is any opaque material used to block the light being emitted from a light source. Small to large pieces of black paper and black foam core are commonly used to prevent light from directly falling on part or all of the scene, to cast a shadow onto the scene, to prevent light from creating glare, or for any combination of those reasons.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.