1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique Wine: Corkscrew

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Mike Buckley, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Our handheld corkscrew recently broke, so my wife bought a shiny chrome one branded as All-Clad. I like their cookware, so I was excited when she told be about it. When it showed up, it weighed in at nearly one pound and seemed like overkill. So, I photographed it in a style that hopefully makes it appear rather grandiose.

Knowing how difficult it can be to photograph round surfaces of shiny metal, I wasn't thrilled with that characteristic. I also wasn't thrilled with the challenge of photographing the black spiral part against a black background, but I was certain that was the look I wanted.

Setup
    The background is black velvet. A small continuous-light lamp in the right front area and above the subject shined light onto the subject and onto four white reflectors positioned around it. I desaturated the image because the color in the wine bottle's glass and cork were unattractive. That was the only "color" in the original, so there was no need to convert using a color filter.

Mike 2018-06-14--001-S.
    NIKON D7000    35.0 mm f/2.0    35mm    f/9.0    1/1s    ISO 100

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. I think you succeeded very well. That has to be the longest screw I have ever seen on a corkscrew! And at 1 lb it will the perfect weapon to fight the wine heathens off.
    Well done.

3. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    PERFECT! You should be doing product photography (maybe you are! LOL!). Your work is some of the best I've seen.

4. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Wow!
    With that screw you can easily connect the cork with the bottom of the bottle... ;) :sneaky: :whistle: .

Great picture
    Klaus

5. billtils

billtils

Apr 3, 2018
    Very nice Mike. You have done a great job on the lighting here.

Oh, and I like your taste in cookware too. Sadly All-Clad withdrew from the UK market many years ago and is a bit heavy to bring back from one of our family trips (even if we had the free space, which my travelling companion regularly ensures is a non-starter ;) ).

6. Great image..works very well for me. Now, how does it work on a wine bottle?

7. Thanks, everyone!

Karen: It's definitely not perfect; there are two details and perhaps others I haven't noticed that my setup didn't light properly.

I don't do any paid product photography. That's because my career was sales and I have no interest in spending my retirement doing the marketing and sales required to make paid photography happen.

Bohdan: I've used the corkscrew only on one wine bottle (not the one in the photo) and the process of removing the cork was refreshingly effortless. The true test will likely be a plastic or composite cork that is overly tight.

I hope the device was designed to automatically fit the smallest bottle tops, as the pair of long, shiny, parallel pieces are rigid enough that I can't squeeze them together. I think those two pieces and the pair of black plastic thingies that hug the bottle top are designed to accommodate larger tops. You would think by now that the wine industry would have adopted a standard that the top of every bottle would be exactly the same, but nah, that hasn't happened.

Nick and Klaus: I'm reasonably confident the spiral screw is longer than in traditional devices. However, rather than being inserted into the cork in the photo, it's only resting on top of it. I wouldn't want you to think it's even longer than it really is. It's good to know that the photo conveys a sense of length, as that was important to me and, indeed, determined the position of the camera relative to the subject.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  8. My wife told me that the corkscrew comes with a lifetime guarantee. That's definitely a first for me when it comes to corkscrews. The only thing that bothers me about that is that, on this weekend of our 35th anniversary, she's more interested in the corkscrew's lifetime guarantee than the one I gave her when we got married. :ROFLMAO: 

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. So what 35 year old wine will the 2 of you savor this weekend? Congrats on the milestone!

10. As one who’s cookware is All Clad I appreciate this image. It does the manufacturer proud.

11. Once I "discovered" All Clad, I quit looking. Indestructible and very consistent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Thanks, Gordon.

Sorry, Nick, no 35-year-old wine. I actually haven't decided the exact wines we'll be drinking. We'll have three major meals during the three-day celebration, so I only know that we'll drink a tannic red of some sort, a pinot noir and a Chardonnay and that all of them will be a few steps up from everyday fare.

My pots and pans are about half-and-half Revere Ware (affordable purchases when I was young and early in my career) and All-Clad. Like Nick, once I bought my first All-Clad, I've never bought anything else when it comes to stainless steel.

13. Bart

Bart

Sep 20, 2009
    Beautifully done, Mike!

And congratulations on your 35th anniversary!

14. Sculptural beauty!

I've been a fan of the Laguiole waiter's corkscrews for years. They seem to last forever and work flawlessly. They even come in a nice leather case and travel well.

15. Super image Mike!

16. Thank you to Bart, Ted and Binnur!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.