Critique Wine drop photography -- give credit to Nick

I was hoping to be the first person to use wine for drop art photography but I'm not surprised that that's been done already. Even so, I'm thrilled with the results and am grateful to Nick for suggesting quite awhile ago that I use wine. (It doesn't matter if he was only joking and I really don't know if he was.) This was by far my most enjoyable and most successful drop art session. The results were so good that I had a difficult time determining which images to display here.

All of the photos were made using Merlot with a drop of surfactant in the reservoir the drops fall from and in the margarita glass below. (I'm such a big spender that the wine cost a whopping $4. :D ) All of the formations are the result of two drops colliding with each other.

By the way, most wine is about 80% water, 10% -15% alcohol and the rest being other particles.

Photo #1
Mike 2020-05-07--002-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Photo #2
Mike 2020-05-07--006-S.jpg

Photo #3
Mike 2020-05-07--059-S.jpg

Photo #4
Mike 2020-05-07--023-S.jpg

Photo #5
Mike 2020-05-07--018-S.jpg

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Great set!!!! The red really pops! Have you tried any where the lower section is red also? Now to get them a bit taller......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Karen! I just now remembered that you hoped I would eventually get to making color photos.

Have you tried any where the lower section is red also? Now to get them a bit taller......
No, I haven't tried making the surface of the wine appear red. I think I would have to use a red reflector to make that happen or perhaps placing flash units at the sides and beneath the bowl of the margarita glass would work. Thanks for tossing out the idea!

Making the jets taller is always THE challenge. This session actually produced more tall jets than any session so far. One of the experts that publishes a helpful eBook measured jets that are five inches tall, but the jets in almost all of her photos made in this style are substantially shorter.

I was wondering when you were going to get around to wine. The most interesting set to-date IMO. I really like the shapes in nos. 1 and 4. And the lighting is awesome. Really nicely done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you also to Dan and Nick!

Glad I had an original idea, it's the first time I thought it! :cool:
Actually, I made and posted two humorous wine photos awhile ago that I wouldn't have made if you hadn't thought of the concepts. One was made earlier this year and the other one was made nearly two years ago. They are at:
https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/turning-water-into-wine-thanks-to-nick.321398
https://www.nikoncafe.com/threads/wine-glass-at-breakfast-thanks-to-nick.311194

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom