Critique Wine for the "B-Team"

My wife and I married in 1983 and that was also the first year of the television series, "A-Team." Both of our last names begin with a "B," so we began calling ourselves the B-Team and still do to this day. Coincidentally, we visited Beringer Vineyards on our honeymoon and, for the first time probably in at least 20 years, we'll be drinking wine made by that winery. The wine showed up yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised to see that their logo implies the B-Team (though probably only to members of the B-Team). So, I absolutely had to photograph the wine bottles without delay.

NOTE: If your monitor is not calibrated, you may not be able to notice the intentional subtle distinction between the background and the wine bottles, especially in the first photo.

Setup Photo #1
The tabletop is a vinyl floor tile and the background is black velvet. A small continuous-light lamp fitted with a diffusion sock was high above the camera.

Setup Photo #2
The background is black velvet. The subject is on top of two other bottles. A small continuous-light lamp fitted with a diffusion sock to make the light less bright lit the background. Another small lamp (not fitted with a diffusion sock) was on the far left of the subject.

Mike 2020-08-15--0003-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mike 2020-08-15--0004-S.jpg

Last edited:
We made the trip to several of the wineries there several years ago.
Beringer was one of them.
That was a very enjoyable trip.
Very educational for me.
For years I always thought if you go direct to the wineries and buy you get a really good deal.
Quite the opposite. You are paying a premium but you are getting the very best they offer.
Paso Robles also has some good ones as well as Carmel and Monterey.

I lived in Cali for 4 years and visited Napa at least once a month. I've visited practically every winery but never Beringer. I've enjoyed their high end cabs at tastings on several occasions and was most impressed but never purchased any for my cellar. Go figure. My wife and I will return to Napa once covid is no longer an issue and Beringer will definitely be on our itinerary. Enjoy Mike and please let us know your impressions of the 2015 Napa.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Nicely photographed, Mike! I can indeed see the separation between the top of the bottles and the background.

Rick,
When you decide to head west out this way think about saving a little extra time to come about 400 miles south of Napa.
Temecula has a lot of up and coming wineries there.
They are only about 30 miles from me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you to Dave, Rick, Karen and Nick!

For years I always thought if you go direct to the wineries and buy you get a really good deal.
Quite the opposite.
If the winery offers futures, they are almost always if not always a good buy.

I've enjoyed their high end cabs at tastings
This should be a fairly high-end wine that is probably comparable to their Knight's Valley brand, which is fairly popular especially in restaurants. But it's not one of their really high-end wines, which I've never had.

It's got 15% alcohol, so it's probably your style of wine. 78% Cab, 17% Merlot and the rest Malbec. I'll try to remember to report back when we drink it.

When is the Big day?
We don't have a particular occasion in mind yet, so we'll probably drink it when I'm in the mood to cook something special that will be an excellent pairing.

Mike, these are great.

What a coincidence that I got a case of the 2014 last week from a merchant who wanted to get rid of the last case he had lying around. Opened a bottle on Friday night.

Sorry for the crappy iphone pic, but I was excited to take it after reading your post. I don't normally drink Beringer, but this came recommended and did not disappoint. I'm sure your 2015 will be delicious now but could also blossom in a few years. I'm going to drink one more bottle soon and lay the rest of the case of the 2014 away for a few years.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom