Critique Wine from Chateau Lascombes

This is one of the most beautiful wine bottles I've ever seen, so I was especially pleased to photograph it. It is my fifth and last photo for now of a second growth grand cru red Bordeaux wine until I get some of the others. There are still nine such wines that I've never owned or photographed.

Photographing a wine label's bright, shiny, metallic parts or an embossed area in the glass bottle can be difficult. A subject such as this one that has both can be particularly challenging. The curved shape of a bottle makes all of that more challenging than if the surface was flat.

Setup
Capture #1: This capture lit everything except the embossed letters in the glass. The tabletop is blue art paper and the background is a navy blue shirt. Their hue was changed to purple during post-processing. A small continuous-light lamp high on the left and a medium one high on the right lit the subject and tabletop. Two flashlights on the left and right sides lit the background. A white reflector in front of the bottle brightened the shiny metallic parts in the center of the label.

Captures #2 and #3: To light the name, Lascombes, embossed on the bottle, a circular sheet of diffusion material 40" in diameter was placed between the subject and a medium continuous-light lamp. One capture photographed the letters on the right side and the other capture photographed the letters on the left side. The lamp was handheld as far away from the diffusion material as possible to modify the light source to the largest possible size. (If I had a large enough studio to provide enough distance between the subject, diffusion material and lamp and to accommodate a larger sheet of diffusion material, I could have captured the entire embossed name in one capture. Alternatively and probably more practical, I could have set up a pair of lamps and diffusion sheets to light both halves of the name in one capture.) The two captures of the embossed letters were moved to the first capture.

Mike 2019-09-02--012-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Real Name
Walter Rowe
I am impressed with the degree of production you put into these images. Your visualization of final image, understanding of how the bottles and labels will appear based on direction and size of light source, and thoughtful planning through post processing to achieve your vision are inspiring. Your details you share are very helpful and instructive.

Beautiful bottle.

I forgot to mention how good Photoshop's fairly new masking technology is that automatically selects the photo's subject. To change the hue of the tabletop and background, I first selected the subject and then inverted the selection. This is the first time I've used the Select Subject button. It automatically selected the wine bottle and only got some minor details wrong where the sides of the label are so close to the sides of the bottle; I had to manually tweak those parts of the selection. When I tried accomplishing the same thing doing everything manually just to see which method was faster, the automated method was considerably faster.

Last edited:
I used to drink this lovely wine in the mid to late 70's. A local liquor store sold it for $10.00. I've had it since, but not for $10. Also the capsule was red, and there was no purple on the label. The raised Lascombes was in the glass above the label though. I like anything from Margaux, Lascombes is really a treat.

The raised Lascombes was in the glass above the label though.

I saw a photo of a 2010 bottle that displayed the embossed letters though in a different style and shape. It's fun to see the changes wineries make to their bottles over the decades.

I like anything from Margaux

I've never had anything from Margaux I didn't enjoy, so I especially look forward to eventually drinking this wine. Unfortunately, I'll probably wait at least three years.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom