Critique Wine: How Diane Keaton enjoys hers

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Mike Buckley, Dec 4, 2017.

1. This 2015 vintage of The Keaton red wine is only its second vintage. It is produced by a partnership of a wine importer's general manager, a wine maker and actor Diane Keaton. It's a blend of Zinfandel, Petit Sirah and Shiraz. They also produce a blended white wine and both are styled to be poured over ice in a low ball glass, which is Keaton's preferred way of drinking wine. Those details are explained on the front and rear labels of the wine.

I bought the wine to photograph it and was especially pleased that it's actually an excellent value. Wine.com sells it for $16 and I plan to buy more of it.

Setup
    The tabletop is dark red presentation paper changed during post-processing to a hue that complements the foil on the bottles. The background is black velvet that fills the frame, no more and no less. A speedlight was behind the background facing away from it toward a white wall. That lighting outlined the bottle, glass, ice and wine in bright tones. Black cards on both sides of the lens eliminated flare. A white reflector on the left added a reflection to the wine glass, bottom of the pouring bottle, and left side of the wine label to help display shape and add interest. A speedlight on the right front above the scene lit the pouring bottle from above. The fake ice is acrylic that is handmade to ensure that no two cubes are alike.

Mike 2017-12-04--001-S.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Really nice, Mike! You should get yourself hooked up with a couple of wine makers or vineyards to do their product shoots.....you're definitely doing some beautiful work here!

3. Red wine over ice?????? :eek::arghh:

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Where's the cork ?

5. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Superb image, Mike! I would think they would be thrilled to use that image in advertisements!

6. In Mike's defense, he did it was fake ice.

7. Thanks, everyone!

One piece I read explained that Diane Keaton insisted that her wine had to be sold with screw caps.

In Nick's defense, I seem to remember adding the information about the acrylic ice after Nick posted his funny message. The nice thing about using acrylic ice is that it doesn't dilute the wine. :ROFLMAO: My wife and I drank most of the wine in the opened bottle and none of it saw ice, real or fake.

8. OK, I forgive you---but I'm gonna quit watching Diane Keaton movies! :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Rick Lunn

Rick Lunn

Jul 1, 2016
    North Dakota
    On the bottle it states: “must be served on ice”. I think I would definitely pass on this one! Or just buy Coolaid. ;~)

10. True. However, the rear label not included in the photo states that "It tastes just as good without ice, too."

11. Rick Lunn

Rick Lunn

Jul 1, 2016
    North Dakota
    Not to appear as a wine snob, but Keaton can have all her wine.

12. I take immense pride in being a wine snob. :ROFLMAO:

13. Me too!

14. Back to the topic of this post, Mike that is one heck of a great picture. The subtle rime lighting that outlines the bottles is sublime, as are the very controlled reflections on the standing bottle. The red tabletop works very well too. Bravo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. You're a camera snob!

16. I will be, hopefully, come Thursday afternoon! (Yup, UPS has rescheduled delivery from today, to Wednesday, and now to Thursday).

17. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    I like the shot and the actress, or is it actor?

18. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Didn't you just get an D810 from your wife?

19. Three years ago--got to keep up with elite shooters at the Café :rolleyes: :D . Sold it for a decent price and played nice. Man needs a retirement toy, er, tool. Right?

20. Looks like you figured out the bottle reflection well to distinguish from the BG and show the curves. The pour from off camera feels a bit odd to me, kinda like a person's arm coming into the frame. Do you have one with the bottle open and a partially filled wine glass beside it? Agree with other comments about the ice and non-standard glass. And I would think stemware would work better for a chilled wine since hand warmth will accelerate melting.