Critique Wine: My first focus-stacked image

After consideration and a little trial:

1. Adding NEF files as layers will add the un-optimised files as layers unless they have previously been run through ACR and the xmp files exist.

2. If you have to Optimise first in ACR (which I think that you should) then you have two (3) choices - either click on DONE or SAVE AS (16Bit) TIFF files. (You could also OPEN).

2a. If you choose to OPEN you cannot Add Open Files to Layers until all files are Saved.

3. I tried both NEF variants and the end result included Out Of Focus Blotches. I used the Guitar Bridge as my example. I don't mean the OOF part of the Bridge. I mean BLOTCHES.

4. I then went back to the TIFF files I originally created and run them through again - perfect - no blotches.

5. So, even with a Step Width of just 1 (minimum) using the NEF files in Layers (although possible) does not produce the best result in Photoshop CC.

I hope that helps?

DG

I hope that helps?

Yes. That information indicates to me two things:
  • Depending on the situation, the file format does matter
  • We don't know when the file format matters until we find that one format doesn't work flawlessly and then try another file format.
(You could also OPEN).

If that's done, please provide the details of getting to the point that you can use Scripts >> Load Files into Stack. I haven't figured out how to get to that point without saving the adjusted NEFs by clicking Done or saving to a different file format and then opening Photoshop CC's File menu.

In the Scripts / Load Files dialogue you can click on Add Open Files.

Untitled-2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

In the Scripts / Load Files dialogue you can click on Add Open Files.

Great tip! That's a far easier method.

I'm embarrassed to admit that my problem was that when I first looked through the File menu, I didn't see the option to select Scripts. However, even if I had seen it, I probably wouldn't have noticed the Add Open Files button. Now you can appreciate how bad I am at learning new software, which also explains why once I learn how to use a particular software app that works well for me, I stop trying alternatives.

I'm going against the grain here. While this image is certainly sharp and in focus across the frame, it lacks depth and perspective to my eye. I realize I am in the minority, but I enjoy the placement of the OOF area on these shots. They provide a 3 dimensional reference on our 2 dimensional images. Plus, I enjoy the creamy, smooth OOF areas provided by quality lenses.

I enjoy the placement of the OOF area on these shots. They provide a 3 dimensional reference on our 2 dimensional images. Plus, I enjoy the creamy, smooth OOF areas provided by quality lenses.

For me, it depends on the image and I think even the mood I'm in at the time as to which type of image I prefer. I will undoubtedly use both methods over a period of time and sometimes when photographing the same scene.

Latest threads

Top Bottom