Critique Wine or Whine?

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Palouse, Mar 20, 2017 at 4:32 PM.

1. With the new ability to post by drag and drop, it's time for me to play a more active role here (that is, do more than make fun of Bill Dewey).
    Here is one from a series of shots I did for a friend last year. It was tougher than I ever imagined to place the lights, set focus and compose.
    So give it the old Café try--critiques of all flavors welcome.
    Nick0038.

2. Yikes, thats a big picture! Sorry :(

3. Somebody actually makes white wine???:eek:

4. Rick, you and I need to open some bottles together some time. I was just thinking the same thing!

5. Nick, the shot is well done. I would imagine the lighting for this could be daunting. Even so, I can see the ribs from your umbrellas in the reflections. Perhaps a softbox or a scrim would work better next time.

6. Obviously Nick will drink anything:). He's probably sipping on a white zin as we speak:D.

7. Ha HA! I suspect about 90% of what I drink is red, perhaps 95. I do like German Rieslings (Spatlese and better) and Alsatian Gewurtz. The wine being poured is a Portuguese Vino Verde, great summer thirst quencher.
    Yeah, those damn ribs! I just got a soft box, so I'll try again--some day!

PS: White zin comment is below the belt! (probably where it comes from!)

8. Pawl

Pawl

Aug 10, 2013
    EC
    Was also going to mention the ribs (spare?)

An alternative for smaller products such as these would be a fully enclosed tent easy to arrange or you can buy from B+H or where ever easily which would allow lots of light without ribs or other reflections from distracting.

Product photography ain't easy :D

9. Pa

Pa

May 5, 2005
    SW Virginia
    Wow, Palouse is posting photos!

Nicely done, Nick. I like the composition and the execution.

Yes, Rick, and many of us drink them! :eek:

Seriously, I think white wine makes a much better aperitif than red, and much of the food we eat is lighter and would be overpowered by a red wine. I just cannot bring myself to drink red wine with fish!

But back to the subject at hand. It's great to see Nick posting pictures and I look forward to many more.

I'm on my way downstairs now to pour a glass of Chardonnay.

10. Thanks Pawl. Yeah, a tent- - - my son suggested using some old tent poles and white nylon, which I will experiment in about a couple of months: Retirement!

11. Thanks Jim. Took away my last excuse, darn!

12. People eat fish?:eek:

13. Yeah and some even smoke it :LOL:

14. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    On a more serious note the selective focus on the middle bottle and glass gives a nice dof look, and makes me thirsty. Having three different height and colors of bottles is also nice along with the slant.

Ribs....hmmm... That word is making me hungry! Lol,

15. Muonic

Muonic

Jun 14, 2006
    Especially when everything in the picture reflects the light. That makes it really tough.

BTW, what is that white powder on the table, just to the left of the glass? :eek:

16. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Lol, tough crowd here, but I missed that!

17. What they all said.
    The only other thing that caught my eye was the tentative (?) look of the text on that label.
    Perhaps selectively increase contrast on label.

label.

18. Hopefully just some scratches on the plexiglass or dust on the black fabric below it. Or dandruff . . . or . . .? :cautious:

The 3 heights was luck, the selective focus could have been better had I had the middle bottle and the glass in the same plane.

And, for the record, I was working alone using a remote shutter release, and didn't sample the wares until after I was done shooting. Then it got to be fun :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Yup, that is most certainly a consequence of my inexperience and apparent disdain for post processing :)

20. post processing is just correcting the mistakes of reality.