Critique Wine: Pinot Noir

I haven't tried this Pinot Noir, so don't ask. :ROFLMAO:

Setup #1
The tabletop is a floor tile and the background is art paper. A small continuous-light lamp fitted with a diffusion sock was above the subjects. A white reflector in the right front area added a reflection to that area of the three bottles. A black flag above the lens eliminated flare in the top part of the image.

Setup #2
The tabletop is a silk pocket square. A small continuous-light lamp was in the right front area. A white reflector on the left added a reflection to that side of the bottle.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Thank you to Phil and Andy!

What shape was your white reflector? The way it is captured in the curves of the bottle is extremely nice!
Rectangular. Relatively tall (much taller than the bottles to make sure the reflection will be added to the entire length of a wine bottle) and narrow (only to save space; the width of the reflection is controlled by the angle of the reflector relative to the bottle).

I actually don't like the shape of the middle reflection. Notice that the right side near the bottom becomes a straight rather than curved edge. I have no idea why that happened and have never had it happen in the past. I even moved the reflector with the intention of taking a separate capture just for that bottle but the shape remained as is.

Also notice the two jagged points on the left and right sides near the middle of the reflection on the left bottle. I left those there just as a matter of interest but I'm not thrilled with them. Considering that one reflector added all three reflections using just one capture, I'm guessing that those two jagged points were created by something about the bottle rather than the reflector.

many of the Martinborough pinot noir wines ( I assume that is the region) are excellent.
Yes, that is the region and your thinking is exactly the same as mine; I expect this to be at least a reasonably good wine.

Last edited:
I actually don't like the shape of the middle reflection. Notice that the right side near the bottom becomes a straight rather than curved edge. I have no idea why that happened and have never had it happen in the past. I even moved the reflector with the intention of taking a separate capture just for that bottle but the shape remained as is.
When I broke down the setup, I learned what caused it: The bottle on the right blocked the middle reflection; when I removed the bottle on the right, the middle reflection appeared slightly curved as I expected and hoped would happen in the first place.

Last edited:
Real Name
Andy
When I broke down the setup, I learned what caused it: The bottle on the right blocked the middle reflection; when I removed the bottle on the right, the middle reflection appeared slightly curved as I expected and hoped would happen in the first place.
Yes, I see the differences in the reflections now. I suppose it makes sense that the bottle closest to the reflector has the purest shape. In any case, I am inspired to start being more intentional about adding this kind of visual interest in my work. Thanks for sharing!

I am inspired to start being more intentional about adding this kind of visual interest in my work.
You can also use colored reflectors for additional interest. Or you can put black tape on a white reflector to block parts of the reflection, such as to create the effect of a reflection of a window when the strips of black tape appear as the wood grid holding the window panes in place. Whatever you decide upon, adding reflections using a stationary light source and a reflector is like light painting but using a stationary light.

Last edited:
The reason I rarely provide photos of the setups: My makeshift studio is tiny, only about 6' x 8.' Because I photograph glass so often, which is highly reflective, the floor, ceiling and three walls are black to prevent unwanted reflections from appearing in the scene. (The fourth wall, which is almost always behind the scene being photographed, is white so I can use it as a large reflector.) Even my stand is painted black and almost all of the tools such as clamps, lamps and flash units by design are also black. So, it's very difficult in such a cramped space where virtually everything is black to provide a meaningfully helpful photo of the setup.

Two great sources of setups and principles relating to light:
  • Light: Science and Magic, a book in its fifth addition
  • workphlo

Instead, drop by this afternoon and we'll test drive it together. :)
Fabulous! For a mere $1850** I can be in DC by 9:08 am Sunday (via Seattle and Atlanta) and would have to leave by 12:30 pm to get back in time for a Monday appointment.

I think I'll stay home and drink--cheaper, and it avoids airline "food".

** about what it would cost to fly to NZ from here :cool:

Last edited:
I really like the second image Mike. The first one is very nice too , but I think with a plain BG my eyes would focus on the bottles and the labels more.

The first one is very nice too , but I think with a plain BG my eyes would focus on the bottles and the labels more.
I am very surprised that nobody mentioned that earlier. That's because my wife, who was the first person other than me to see the image, also preferred a background that is more plain. I expected others to mention it. Even so, I'm happy with it as is, partly I suppose because I would get bored using a plain background for every image I make and partly because this one isn't too busy for my taste.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom