Critique Wine: Rating printed on the foil

I've noticed two recent trends having to do with the foil on wine bottles. One trend is that some bottles are being sold with no foil, with a bare neck and with no seal of any kind over the cork. I'd already made a photo of that for my collection. The second trend is to display a wine rating on the foil. I hadn't made a photo of that until making this photo.

This 2015 Spanish wine is made of 100% Garnacha grapes (also called Grenache). Cimal is the name of the winery.

James Suckling is a wine critic who got his fame from about 30 years of working at Wine Spectator before going out on his own in 2010.

For those who think I should have posted this photo in the Black & White forum, it's a full-color image. Fooled ya! :)

Setup
The background is black velvet. A small continuous-light lamp was above and slightly on the right side. Two white reflectors, one on each side of the scene, added reflections to the bottles' shoulders and necks. Without them, their shape wasn't defined.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Nicely done--stark and bold and then they fade into the background. Love the little kiss of light on the right lower neck of the front bottle-- a hair light repurposed!

Off topic a bit, I don't mind no foil, I don't mind foil, plastic capsules, etc, but I detest wax. It's so hard to get off, and messy, especially if it's not your first bottle of the evening! And the darn things have started to take over beer too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Nick!

I wonder how safe the wine is knowing that someone could add poison through the cork, knowing that with no foil nobody would have any reason to suspect it before drinking the wine. I realize anyone at the bottling facility could do that before the foil is added, but it's a little more comforting when there is foil with no holes punched in it.

I completely agree about the wax. Some plastic used instead of metal foil is also nearly impossible to get off. Indeed, I drank a wonderful wine recently that I'll never buy again because it was so difficult to remove the plastic covering.

Too bad they didn't leave the l off instead :rolleyes:
James can't afford a proof-reader! I've noticed that those darned ratings are becoming more common, and they seem to be stuck at 91, 92 or 93. Suckling now has competition from a host of other raters, Wine Experience being one that comes to mind.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I doubt that it's James that is to be blamed; it's probably someone at the winery that turned over an electronic file or information about a spelling and font that isn't accurate. Surely something had to have been approved in writing by the winery before the foil went to print.

Like you, I also dislike the use of ratings printed on bottles.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom