Critique Wine: spilled bottle and broken wine glass (thanks to Wade!)

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Mike Buckley, May 15, 2018.

1. Wade suggested most of the content in this scene. It was lots of fun making the photo, so a huge thank you goes to Wade! On the other hand, if you don't like the photo, blame him. :ROFLMAO: 

Ya never know when someone like Wade is going to suggest an image like this, so it's always helpful to have some broken wine glasses lying around. :eek: 

Setup
    The tabletop is a floor tile. A small continuous-light lamp on the left above the scene directly lights the cork and the right lower area of the scene. It also casts light on red presentation paper in the rear (not displayed) that reflects the red tones onto most of the scene. A white reflector in the right front area lifts the cork's shadows. The red wine was thickened with about 15% glycerine. The drop at the end of the wine bottle is Aqua Gel dipped in the red wine.

Mike 2018-05-15--008-S.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. The drop on the bottle is so key. This is so very well lit. You've mastered light fall-off well! What wine gave it's all for this creation?

3. Thanks, Nick!

You are so right! Working with the Aqua Gel to get it to look natural as a drip hanging in midair can be difficult. So, I first made the image without it to have as "Plan B" if "Plan A" didn't work out. The only thing that is different with the composition in those two images is that drip. It's unbelievable to see the impact of that drip after seeing the image without it, so I'm very glad "Plan A" worked out.

I was willing to bet that you'd ask that, as the answer is embarrassing. The wine bottle was a Malbec but there was no more wine in it. We had about three sips left of a cheap Brunello not worthy of being called a Brunello. I mixed that with an everyday Pinot Noir to get a sufficient amount of wine.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  4. Your image is impressive and it reminds me a crime scene Mike (May be because of the intense red color).Why did you thicken the red wine? It is difficult to understand that the red thing on the tabletop is wine because it is so thick.

5. I agree with Binnur. It looks like a murder scene. Well done with this one.

6. Thank you to Binnur and Mitch!

Binnur: The wine is thickened to help make it a bit more stable, which provides more control when pouring it onto the tabletop. The dimension of the wine from top to bottom on the tabletop isn't noticeably different than if there had been no thickener, as only about 15% of the liquid is glycerine. My thinking is that making the wine look more as we're used to seeing it would happen with different lighting, not by deciding not to use the glycerine. I didn't want the wine to look as we're used to seeing it because I wanted a bit of the macabre look that you and Mitch mentioned.

• Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.