1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Wine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nuclearjock, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Done with camera gear for 2018. I'll be stocking the wine cellar this year.

• Like Like x 1
  2. The only better choice is drinking wine from it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. White and bubbly yes, red gotta wait.

4. 99% of all wine, including red wine, is made to be drunk the day it arrives at the retail store. If you're stocking your cellar with the other 1%, I would be more than happy to become your very best friend.

5. All reds will be from Napa this year. All opaque with chewable tannins. Will all out live me. But I've got some oldies that are standing up as we speak.

• Like Like x 1
  6. As I thought, it would clearly be in my best interest to become your very best friend.

7. OK, I'm with ya, wine is it. Had this discussion just an hour ago with my wife: let's buy more wine we can drink now and over the short term. Our son can by the stuff worthy of longer aging . . . :LOL: 

And then we downed a bottle or 2 of white wine (with a friend). $12,000 would buy some amazing wine.

8. Almost a years worth with a little left over for Scotch!

9. If that's single malt you might need an extra $12,000.

Back to the topic of this thread, I will have an "academic" interest in this lens similar to my interest in all the megabucks exotic Nikkors. Unless I choose the right 6 numbers I will never have the money for any of them. (Well, I could buy one or two but that would blow a hole in my bucket list).

10. GeorgeH

GeorgeH

Nov 15, 2007
    Seattle
    Off topic but an enjoyable subject; might need a Café Social General Discussion thread.

Don’t underestimate Washington wine. Not that I don’t appreciate CA wine; I travel to NorCal frequently and will extend the business trip and have my wife join me for some wine tasting in Napa. Stags Leap Wine Cellars, CA and Chateau St. Michelle, WA are customers of mine. Col Solare, SLV, Fay, and Cask 23 are even better with a vendor discount.

That said, I believe Washington wine, reds especially, have caught up and since they are relatively new to the US wine industry, the prices for comparable wines are dramatically less. The big reds are suitable for laying down and the most recent vintage at peak is 2007. (2017 vintage chart, Winemag.com)

I belong to too many clubs and could finance that new zoom if I could control my budget. DeLille Cellars, Fidelitas, Leonetti, Betz, Woodward Canyon, Mark Ryan, Long Shadow’s to name a few.

If you like an NFL and local college QB connection, Passing Time is owned by Damon Huard and Dan Marino and Doubleback is owned by former NFL and WSU quarterback Drew Bledsoe. Both their 2014 Cab’s are rated very high; Robert Parker gave Doubleback a 97, same rating as Delille’s Shaw Cab.

11. Hey George--great to have a fellow NW wine lover here! Had WW Canyon Red Wine (a blend of varieties and years) last night, and on Sunday, a Seven Hills 2014 Petit Verdot.

12. GeorgeH

GeorgeH

Nov 15, 2007
    Seattle
    Nick,

I wouldn’t have the discipline if I lived as close to Walla Walla as you do. Of course the Woodinville tasting rooms are even more convenient for us west siders.

13. And the Clearwater Vally is now ip and running as an AVA, as is the Snake River, south of Boise. We spent a couple of delightful days at wineries on the WA side of Columbia Gorge (across from Hood River). Great stuff, and we'll go back this spring.

14. OFF TOPIC (Edit: Actually not off-topic. I got confused about which thread I was reviewing.)

As I'm sure you know, there is a huge difference in the history and reputation of the Stag's Leap and Stags' Leap wineries. (For novices, notice the placement of the apostrophe.) Your customer apparently is the former that has the fabulous history and reputation. An acquaintance of mine bought four bottles of the Stag's Leap Cab when it won the famous 1976 Judgement of Paris blind tasting that put Napa Valley on the international wine map. When he got out of his cab (no pun intended), the bottom of the paper bag holding the bottles fell out and all of the bottles broke. I met founder Warren Winiarski and his wife briefly at the Smithsonian's 40th anniversary celebration of the 1976 event and I didn't have the heart to tell him about those four broken bottles.

I only know Chateau St. Michelle's "Eroica" Riesling made in partnership with Germany's Dr. Loosen but I've been making sure for years that it's always stocked in my household. In fact, I drank it last night. I've also made two photos of it: All Things Wine | Pouring wine named after Beethoven's Symphony #3 and All Things Wine | Named after Beethoven's Symphony #3 .

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  15. GeorgeH

GeorgeH

Nov 15, 2007
    Seattle
    Seems you know your history as well but to expand for those that may not;

Yes, Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars won the red competition with a 1973 SLV Cab. Made famous first by the book even though Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars refused to participate, and then by the Movie Bottle Shock. The locals prefer the book but appreciate the movie for the awareness, in spite of the artistic license. Chateau Montelena 1973 Chardonnay was featured in the movie and won the white competition.

Stags’ Leap Winery and Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars fought in court about the name and somehow settled with a slight difference, including the position of the apostrophe.

Marchesi Antinori and Chateau Ste. Michelle purchased it in 2007 with financing/ownership interest from Altria. The premier line of Chateau Ste. Michelle is Col Solare, also a partnership with Marchesi Antinori.

16. This is fun. Col Solare is on Red Mountain, just outside of Benton City, WA, and just above Kiona vineyards. I've never had their wines, but have gazed up at their estate a few times.

17. Rotella Productions is supposedly making an accurate movie about the Judgement of Paris. Taber (author of the famous Time magazine article and the book) wholeheartedly recommends the movie because of its accuracy (unlike Bottle Shock). The last I heard, it was supposed to be released this year. However, I suspect that it's delayed, as there is no information about a release date at the movie's website and I haven't heard anything about it in quite awhile.

Mike Grgich, who made the winning Chardonnay, was not included in the movie Bottle Shock because of a dispute between him and Chateau Montelena's primary owner, Jim Barrett. I spoke with someone who said the movie included a beret on a shelf in homage to Grgich, but I never saw it despite that I watched the entire movie a second time looking for it. I follow news about Grgich's American and Croatian wineries because of his important place in the history of wine.

I seem to remember that Chateau Montelena is now owned by the same company that owns Chateau St. Michelle even though Bo Barrett, Jim Barrett's son, is still the CEO. I could be wrong but you probably know about the ownership.

18. By the way, the Smithsonian's 40th anniversary celebration of Judgement of Paris was one heck of a lot of fun but the wine served by such luminary wineries was surprisingly disappointing.

19. I believe Altria owns Ch. Ste Michelle and Phillip-Morris and a few others. My understanding is that control for wine making is local, control of wine marketing is not.

20. Please clarify that. There's lots of information about the company, its owner and winemaker in Taber's book. Perhaps it was obtained without the help of the winery?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.