Wine

Our local trash pick up stopped separately picking up glass to be recycled and it's now okay to put glass in the trash. For those like me who want to recycle the glass, there are several places we can take the glass to have it recycled. I did that today and when I looked into the recycling bin, I saw that it's almost entirely wine bottles. The glass is ground up into small particles and used in the paving material used for highways. I just hope they grind those particles into small enough pieces that they don't flatten my car's tires!

Last edited:
Yup, that happened here, but we can take it down t the recycling center (less than a mile from home) and then they crush it. Many of our streets are "chip-sealed" with a slurry of small gravel, ground rubber and some tar.

I think I had seen only one wine made from 100% Trebbiano until today when I opened the box from my wine club: two of the three white wines are made only from Trebbiano.

Rather ironic that I know I've enjoyed Trebbiano plenty of times decades ago in red wine before I ever had it as a white wine. Trebbiano and Malvasia are the two white wine grapes that used to be regularly blended in Chianti before regulatory requirements changed.

During our summers near Bologna in the 1980s 100% Trebbiano was very common. In fact, there seemed to be only two white grape varieties gown in that area: Albana and Trebbiano. We preferred Trebbiano.

Of course I can't guarantee this was 100% Trebbiano, but that was my impression.

There was a locally made sparkling Trebbiano called "Oduardo I" that was as good as most ordinary California bubbly, and it cost about $1/bottle in those days. Hard to resist.

Monday's tastings in the Italian wine course included Coda di Volpe, Greco di Tufa, and Radici from Campania, and Passerina from Abruzzi for the white wines.

Reds included Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, Primitivo from Puglia, and two versions of Aglianico from Campania: Terra di Lavoro and Taurasi Naturalis Historia.

The last two were very expensive by my standards: $59.95 and $79.95. Yet my definite favorite of all the reds was the Montepulciano.

The white wines were all pleasant but not particularly distinguished to my palate.

You mentioned Radici from Campania as a white wine. Is it possible you got confused? I ask because I've only seen that as a red wine made from Aglianico.
JZ6_0478.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I didn't detect the diesel fuel. But I liked the wine anyway.

Third class today. We skipped over Toscano right up to Emilia-Romagna, with a sidestep to Laszio and Marche:

IMG_0735.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I apologize for the mediocre iPhone photo, but I didn't take my real camera today.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom