Wine

Google brings up a good bit of information from a search on Platinetti Guido. Apparently it is a vineyard north of Torino and Milano and grows primarily Nebbiolo Ghemme grapes.

Google brings up a good bit of information from a search on Platinetti Guido.
Yes. I didn't see the reference to Platinetti until I looked at the rear label.

The information on the side label translated as follows using an automated translator:
"Obtained from a centenary vineyard on the first hill overlooking the town, the last bastion of historical viticulture where the majority system flooded our hills. As per tradition, the blend derives from a mixture of vines, white berries and black berries, which the autumn colors differently. In the vineyard and in the cellar the path of minimum environmental impact and maximum respect for the grapes was chosen."

The information shown below is from an automated translation of the winery's website. Interestingly, this particular bottle of wine is not mentioned when I view the English version of the website, only at the translation of the Italian version:
"Obtained from a century-old vineyard on the first hill overlooking the town, with a historic viticulture in the form of a majorina. As per tradition, the blend derives from a mixture of grapes present in the plot mainly: merlot, croatina, barbera, rare grapes, nebbiolo, vespolina, erbaluce. In the vineyard and in the cellar the path of minimum environmental impact and maximum respect for the grapes was chosen."

It's Monday again...

Several interesting wines today. The first one on the left tasted oxidized to me, but the instructor and wineshop owner apparently didn't agree. In a restaurant I would have returned it.

The Chianti Classico Reserva from Badia a Coltibuono was excellent, and both the Brunello and Vino Nobile de Montepulciano were like nectar. The Fobiano was a Bordeaux-style blend that was quite good and probably excellent value compared to comparable wines from Bordeaux.

The last wine on the right was a sweet wine from Elba, supposed to be an ideal companion to dark chocolate. In fact, samples of a special dark chocolate were served with it. I don't care for chocolate and the wine was terrible to my palate.

The second wine from the left was a very pleasant "orange" trebbiano from Umbria. The juice was left on the skins long enough to achieve a very light orange color. I liked it.
The Coltibuono has always been a favorite. Along with Nozzole it has terrific quality and it can be hard to find.

I put wines that cost $30 and up in a wine refrigerator in my sun room. (The others go in a larger wine refrigerator in our storage room.) The sun room has a ceramic tile floor, which is the hardest floor in our home. I'm told ceramic tile is even harder than concrete. For the first time in my life, I dropped a bottle of wine. Naturally, it was a higher end bottle and, naturally, it fell on that ceramic floor. Fortunately, the wine just barely costs enough to earn its place in that wine refrigerator. Better yet, I have three more bottles.

It's a Vino Nobile de Montepulciano Riserva. I've never had a riserva or anything purporting to be a high-end Vino Nobile. Looking forward to trying the three bottles I didn't break! :eek:

It reminds me of a guy I know who bought several bottles in 1976 of the red wine from Napa Valley that won the famous Judgement of Paris blind wind tasting that put Napa Valley on the international wine map. As he got out of his cab, the paper bag holding the bottles broke. All of the bottles broke and wine spilled all over the street. It is still perhaps the most famous wine ever made in America due to having won that blind tasting.

Last edited:
I put wines that cost $30 and up in a wine refrigerator in my sun room. (The others go in a larger wine refrigerator in our storage room.) The sun room has a ceramic tile floor, which is the hardest floor in our home. I'm told ceramic tile is even harder than concrete. For the first time in my life, I dropped a bottle of wine. Naturally, it was a higher end bottle and, naturally, it fell on that ceramic floor. Fortunately, the wine just barely costs enough to earn its place in that wine refrigerator. Better yet, I have three more bottles.

It's a Vino Nobile de Montepulciano Riserva. I've never had a riserva or anything purporting to be a high-end Vino Nobile. Looking forward to trying the three bottles I didn't break! :eek:

It reminds me of a guy I know who bought several bottles in 1976 of the red wine from Napa Valley that won the famous Judgement of Paris blind wind tasting that put Napa Valley on the international wine map. As he got out of his cab, the paper bag holding the bottles broke. All of the bottles broke and wine spilled all over the street. It is still perhaps the most famous wine ever made in America due to having won that blind tasting.
Vino Nobile! What a tragedy.

My wine cellar is in the basement and has a concrete floor. I have the area in front of all the wine racks covered with deep pile throw rugs, but I don't think I've ever dropped a bottle in the 32 years we've been in this house.

I'm sure it will happen eventually.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry;)

Please say a prayer for our fellow Americans in northern California's wine country. The wind fueled fires ravaging the area are becoming worse. Hopefully residents will listen to authorities and evacuate areas that are dangerous.

Another Monday

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My favorite was the Barbera. I've always enjoyed Barbera, and this was an excellent example.

The Gattinara was my least favorite. Dry and full-bodied but without much of real interest in the flavors.

The Barolo was quite good, but not the best I have had by far. Undicicomuni is a blend of 10 different 2013 Barolos from neighboring vineyards.

The Barbaresco was very distinctive, almost exotic to my palate. Aromas of wild flowers and mushrooms.

I'm gonna miss these posts of yours once you complete the series of wine tastings.
One more meeting. We were talking about withdrawal symptoms.

Any particular impressions of the three on the left and the bubbly?
The one on the far left is Tenuta Roletto Erbaluce di Caluso 2013. This was a very pleasant white wine which I considered excellent value at $9.95.

I brought home some of the Gavi and will have a more solid opinion after we drink a little with dinner in a few minutes.

I have fond memories of Dolcetto consumed in Milano many years ago. This one was quite good, but was tasted against the Barbera and suffered by comparison.

Don't knock Gattinara until you've tried Travaglini's. Head and shoulders above all others, and among the best reds I've had.
How was the Gavi?
That is the Gattinara the presenter said he hoped to have for us to taste, but was unable to get in time. He did show us a cell phone photo of the distinctive bottle.

I'l have more to say about the Gavi in a little while.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom