Wine

Today is my lucky day. Wine Spectator named the 2016 Chateau Leoville Barton St. Julien its Wine of the Year, meaning it is its #1 pick among its Top 100 for the year. I picked up a bottle of it about two months ago, having bought it as a future nearly two years ago for the price of $85. The same retailer I bought it from is now selling it for $140. Now that it is Wine Spectator's Wine of the Year, they may raise the price if they haven't already done so.

Today is my lucky day. Wine Spectator named the 2016 Chateau Leoville Barton St. Julien its Wine of the Year, meaning it is its #1 pick among its Top 100 for the year. I picked up a bottle of it about two months ago, having bought it as a future nearly two years ago for the price of $85. The same retailer I bought it from is now selling it for $140. Now that it is Wine Spectator's Wine of the Year, they may raise the price if they haven't already done so.
And the subject of trade war tariffs.

If I remember the timing correctly, the retailers that received at least their first batch of this wine received it before tariffs went into effect.
I am convinced that wine pricing is done by a cabal of demented, out-of-work stand up comics. I finally tried the Rioja suggested by a friend as an affordable quality wine. It is the 2016 Montebuena Rioja. "List" price seems to be $13-15. Local store has it on sale for $8.99 so well worth a try. I found it to be quite good. (As I have noted elsewhere I am not particularly knowledgeable about wines so my descriptions may be a bit odd.) My comparison wine is the Marques de Riscal Rioja (it sells for $15-18 locally). I found the Monetbuena to be sort of medium-bodied, a little more tannic than other riojas I have tried and with what I can only describe as a "quick finish". I am partial to wines that offer a little "fruit" flavor in the finish and the Montebuena had hints of tart cherry. The Marques de Riscal is a bit "lighter" in initial flavor and finish. It also has that quick finish if that is even a thing with wine aficionados. At nearly the same price as the Marques de Riscal I would not buy the Montebuena. At the current sale price, I may get a few bottles and see how it ages.

My very simple, probably biased, view of the relationship between price and wine quality. Green circle is where the best cost:quality ratios are. YMMV
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I am convinced that wine pricing is done by a cabal of demented, out-of-work stand up comics. I finally tried the Rioja suggested by a friend as an affordable quality wine. It is the 2016 Montebuena Rioja. "List" price seems to be $13-15. Local store has it on sale for $8.99 so well worth a try. I found it to be quite good. (As I have noted elsewhere I am not particularly knowledgeable about wines so my descriptions may be a bit odd.) My comparison wine is the Marques de Riscal Rioja (it sells for $15-18 locally). I found the Monetbuena to be sort of medium-bodied, a little more tannic than other riojas I have tried and with what I can only describe as a "quick finish". I am partial to wines that offer a little "fruit" flavor in the finish and the Montebuena had hints of tart cherry. The Marques de Riscal is a bit "lighter" in initial flavor and finish. It also has that quick finish if that is even a thing with wine aficionados. At nearly the same price as the Marques de Riscal I would not buy the Montebuena. At the current sale price, I may get a few bottles and see how it ages.
Far better description than I could ever write because I rarely taste the individual flavors.

I don't understand whether you like or dislike the quick finish. Most wine buffs highly value the longest possible finish so long as it tastes good.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom