Wine

There are few things in life more fun for me than being decadent. I'm referring to the free-spirited, informal kind of decadence, not the snobbish, formal kind. As an example, if I liked pizza more than I do, I would drink a Brunello with a pizza. To wrap up a long weekend of celebrations, tonight my wife and I enjoyed a decadent pairing of 2008 Two Hands "Bella's Garden" Shiraz with homemade Greek tacos. Life doesn't get any better! 🌮 🍷 Dave (@dburanich) inspired me to cook the tacos, so I'm happy to give him a shout out about that.

Does anyone else here read the Wall Street Journal's wine column? Lettie Teague has a very intriguing and heartwarming column today about meeting a German winemaker in a post office on Long Island.

BTW finished a 1982 Lynche Bage Pauillac last night and it was...

Perfection in a glass! (Reidel of course, we're not savages).

Combined with a rack of lamb, grilled peppers and zukes, mustard-shallot sauce and creamy polenta it made a pretty good meal. We did, of course, start out with ling cod and champagne before indulging in the meat course. It was the best $12.00 wine I ever had, Current retail would have been about $600.

BTW finished a 1982 Lynche Bage Pauillac last night and it was...

Perfection in a glass! (Reidel of course, we're not savages).

Combined with a rack of lamb, grilled peppers and zukes, mustard-shallot sauce and creamy polenta it made a pretty good meal. We did, of course, start out with ling cod and champagne before indulging in the meat course. It was the best $12.00 wine I ever had, Current retail would have been about $600.
Sheer hedonism.

Sounds like perfection to me. Definitely worthy of your last bottle of the wine.
Thanks, delicious indeed and a fine memory.
Sheer hedonism.
Yup and if you were there Jim, I would have substituted a d'Yquem or Ruissec for the '87 CA'
Togni we finished with.
Have you tried LB's second label "Echo"? A bit pricey at $50, but I bought a bottle of the 2016. We'll see...
No, but I'm willing to try. The only really rare wine I have left is a Mouton '93 with the illegal Balthus label. Of course, I have that '99 Chateau dYquem for Jim's visit...

Two disappointing wines on new Year's Eve:

JZ6_1323.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The bubbly was given to us by our son, who said it was given to him by a client. The Tautavel I bought back in 2016 but I don't remember where. Neither was objectionable, but they just didn't offer much character or subtlety.

Last edited:
Two disappointing wines on new Year's Eve:
For important occasions, I rarely open a wine I haven't already confirmed that I like.

Neither was objectionable, but they just didn't offer much character or subtlety.
Lots of wines could be described that way but I'm surprised a wine rated 91 points by Wine Enthusiast would be so lacking in character. I've got 2 1/2 bottles of a red Bordeaux from the fabulous 2015 vintage, yet it's so objectionable that I'm saving it for use in a stew.

If anyone had told me that I would strongly dislike a 2015 red Bordeaux made in the Margaux region I would never have believed it. However, my wife and I dislike one so much that I am setting the wine aside for cooking it in stew. I made the first venison stew yesterday so it would be fully flavorful for tonight's supper. I just hope that Margaux didn't ruin it. :eek:

If anyone had told me that I would strongly dislike a 2015 red Bordeaux made in the Margaux region I would never have believed it. However, my wife and I dislike one so much that I am setting the wine aside for cooking it in stew. I made the first venison stew yesterday so it would be fully flavorful for tonight's supper. I just hope that Margaux didn't ruin it. :eek:
I've never been a fan of Merlot, so Margaux has never held much appeal for me. Sorry you were disappointed - 2015 should have developed a bit of mellowing and been excellent.

What wine with Swiss Cheese Fondue (if you have no Fendant)? My thought was New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, but I just saw an online recommendation for Vouvray, and I happen to have a couple of bottles on hand.

We haven't had fondue for many years but the convergence of three events led my wife to suggest it for this evening: (1) she had a tooth extracted yesterday and still needs soft food; (2) she overbought Swiss cheese for the holidays; (3) it snowed this morning.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom