Wine

Three interesting suggestions I found online are Riesling, Gewurtraminer, and Vinho Verde. One writer says that Vinho Verde is made from the Chasselas grape also used in Fendant.

I have Riesling and Gewürtztraminer in the cellar, but no Vinho verde.

Last edited:
I haven't experienced vouvray on many occasions but I just checked and it's chenin blanc based. I've enjoyed california chenin blanc on many occasions and I think it would pair nicely with your Swiss fondue. You could always try both :).

I enjoy coming across a wine that is interesting because it's different from the norm. That explains why I ordered two bottles of Muega Rioja Gran Reserva Prado Enea 2011. They only make the wine in years the grapes are good enough and they didn't make it in 2012 or 2013. (That's not unheard of with some special wines but it's unusual.) Even though the requirement is to store the wine at least five years before release with at least two years in oak and two years in the bottle, this wine was stored eight years. I don't remember hearing of a wine that isn't a fortified wine being stored so long before release.

I enjoyed the dry Riesling with our cheese fondue last evening, though I wouldn't consider it the ideal pairing. I'm going to look for the Pine Ridge Chenin-Blanc/Viognier blend you all mentioned but not for fondue. It may be years before we have that again.

For the past 3-4 years we've been enjoying white Riojas, R López de Heredia, Viña Gravonia, Rioja, Grand Reserva. I believe the current release is 2005 or 2006. It pairs amazingly well, incredibly well with Jamón Ibérico. About $35 a bottle.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom