Wine

That's one of the very few times I've seen Wine Folly put out misleading information, at least based on the stuff I've read about the potential tariffs. That info doesn't mention that wine made only in a few countries (not the entire EU) and that wine made only with 14% or more alcohol will be affected. Most white wine won't be affected because of the alcohol parameter.

I don't think my consumption is down . . .:)(y)
Mine isn't down but it's downward. That's because the more I drink the more often I end up on the floor.

Seriously, my consumption is down about one-third. That's because I began taking a daily statin. I used to drink about 15 ounces of wine on a typical day. Now I limit it to 10 to because of the statin.

"The Wine Institute, a California trade body, said while consumption has fallen off in recent years, it expects millennials to start drinking more wine as they get older, just like baby boomers did. It said its own figures don’t align with IWSR’s and show wine volumes grew last year. IWSR said its data show consumption and not shipments to distributors, which the Wine Institute measures."

What is the concern?
It has to do with something about the liver having to process the statin and if it has to also process too much alcohol, the liver will deteriorate. Consensus in the medical field is that men on statins should drink only two glasses of wine per day. After looking into it, I figured out that the medical community says a glass of wine is a 5-ounce pour.

Statins have serious side effects and are very over prescribed. A good friend has chronic and severe leg pains from statins that have led to other awful issues, including drug addiction.

Real foods and great wine may not make you live longer, but at least the odds are in your favor and the flavors are better.

Tonight? Mahi mahi with peppers, heirloom tomatoes, shallots and butter. Chayote, zucchini, spring onion and pine nuts, sour dough bread and Chablis. A little 85% chocolate and a touch of single cask Scotch and I'm a happy man.

Not always. It's true that they can have serious side effects and when that happens the patient should stop taking them. However, so long as I continue experiencing no side effects whatsoever, I'll continue taking the statin. If that changes, I'll stop taking it.
The side effects my friend sustained continued after he stopped taking the statins as is common with this particular side effect. It's a deteriorating condition with no remedy that leads to increasing pain and fatigue.

I figured out that the medical community says a glass of wine is a 5-ounce pour.
10 ounces is a bit over 0.4 bottles so I think I'm in that range. My wine consumption hasn't changed in 50 years and my doctor says "whatever you're doing keep doing it".

All of these published guidelines are for the "average" person, whoever that is. But we are all different. And there is something to be said for dying happy, even if it is a few years earlier than might be possible.

From Healthline.com:

"Overall, there are no specific health risks associated with drinking while using statins. In other words, alcohol won’t immediately interfere with or react with the statins in your body. However, heavy drinkers or those who already have liver damage due to heavy drinking could be at greater risk for more serious side effects."

Mylagia (muscle pain) is the most common side effect of statins. I've seen reports of anywhere from 1% to 10% of statin users experiencing this. It goes away when statins are stopped. Rhabdomyolysis is muscle "death", a serious side effect of statins but rare (0.1%). Overall, statins are one of the safest, most efficacious drugs we have. There is a serious study sponsored by the FDA investigating making them non-prescription.

Hyperlipidemia runs in my family. My dad had his first heart attack when he was 43. When I finally got my cholesterol checked in 1996, my total cholesterol was 330. After six months of limiting my dietary fat intake to 30 grams a day (that's close to vegan levels :() it plummeted to 300. Time for plan B, namely a statin. It took a while to settle on the one that worked best for me but I've been taking one ever since. With diet and exercise, I stay in the normal range for total, ldl and hdl. Without statins, I might be dead and my quality of life would almost certainly be far worse. My dad spent the last two decades of his life with a badly damaged heart and died of congestive heart failure in 1994.

No drug is without side effects. But I go with science and statistics over anecdotal evidence.

To return to the discussion of wine, consider that most wine is at least 80% water. So if you're gonna drown on a teaspoon of anything, wine is definitely preferable to water.
Given the choice, I'll do my "wine-drowning" from the inside out.

Following your lead, back on topic, I opened a bottle of one of my go-to reds (Di Majo Norante Sangiovese) and it was a touch "skunky". Suspected a failed cork, decanted it to try to save it but no improvement. Tried a second bottle and it was better but still kind of "off". It has been a reliable favorite so I never pay much attention to vintage. This one was 2017 and I think the last I tried was 2015 so maybe an off year?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom