Wine

I've found that wine has gotten both cheaper and much more expensive. Drink-able wines of excellent quality are available for terrific prices, but the "elite" wines with the great pedigrees have become extremely expensive. The quality of the wines I drink day to day are the best I've ever had and I usually spend between $15 and $30, on the other hand the recent release of Richebourg was $1500.

I've found that wine has gotten both cheaper and much more expensive. Drink-able wines of excellent quality are available for terrific prices, but the "elite" wines with the great pedigrees have become extremely expensive. The quality of the wines I drink day to day are the best I've ever had and I usually spend between $15 and $30, on the other hand the recent release of Richebourg was $1500.
Agreed. The sweet spot for me is to find great cabs between $20-$40. These everday wines for me have become much easier to find.

Agreed.
Last week we tasted 4 Spanish reds that costs $10 or less. Nothing that good at that price comes from Calif, WA, or OR. On the other hand, my son's wine group in Salt Lake City tasted a Phelps Insignia Cab (among other things), a wine that lists for $250+ (I can remember the late 1980s when it costs no more than $30.) As a winemaker from Italy's Maestoberardino cellars remarked at a meeting I attended in the late 1980s, "Any fool can make a good $25 bottle of wine; it takes a special fool to make a good $10 bottle of wine."

Today is National Drink Wine Day in America. Though I abhor all such days, I'll limit my protest to posting this message; abstaining from drinking wine today would be too much of a sacrifice.
Wine can be medicinal, even therapeutic (although sometimes it takes the whole box).

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

"...just about all wine lovers have that very special wine that they always mean to open, but never do."

That's one crime I'll never commit. My crime is the opposite one, that I don't have the discipline to lay wines down long enough.

I have friends coming over for supper February 29 (which, by the way, can happen no more than once every four years). The wine that accompanies the main dish has already been selected. The only reason the wine hasn't been selected for the appetizer is because my friend hasn't yet let me know what she'll make.

That's a neat idea. Here's a quote from that web page:

Open the wine and immediately take a sip. If it’s truly, irretrievably bad — meaning vinegar — you will know it right away. But even if the wine doesn’t taste good at first, don’t rush to the sink to pour it out. Previous OTBN participants have said they were amazed how a wine pulled itself together and became delicious as the night wore on.

That's the sort of experience I was referring to in a previous post in this thread.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom