Wine

Zinfandel or Zweigelt, while listening to ZZ Top.
After perusing my special wines, I decided to go to the opposite end of the alphabet. In homage to the Aperture priority setting, which I use about 99% of the time, I could drink Amarone while listening to Arensky. However, I've only got one very special bottle of Amarone and I want to save it for sentimental reasons to enjoy with my childhood friend. So, in homage to the camera's batteries, beep options, body cap and Bulb setting, I'll drink Barolo while listening to Bach. (I've already heard enough Brahms and Beethoven the last few days).

Last edited:
Need some help from the wine experts here (and, BTW, sorry to have been away... been sick... long story for another day).

I am serving grilled salmon with a homemade tikka masala sauce on Thursday. It will be non-spicy in deference to dinner guests' sensitivities. Steamed rice and baked acorn squash round out the meal. Suggestions for wine?

Real Name
Ken St John
I'm afraid my palate is nowhere near y'all's, but my wife and I enjoy a few Washington wines .... 14 Hands Hot to Trot Red Blend and White Blend, and Airfield Estates Sangiovese Rose are our current favorites. All come from wineries where the staff has mostly been trained by the wine program at my alma mater, Washington State University!!

Funny/true story about how bad my taste is -> back in the 90's I was a manager for a PR firm in Singapore and one of my clients was MasterCard Asia, headquartered in Hong Kong. On a flight back to Singapore on Singapore Airlines, my locally based client upgraded us both to First Class. They pored us some Dom Perignon champagne and I literally kept thinking to myself "tastes just like the stuff I get at the grocery store for New Years Eve!!". Sad, but true. One of many reasons we do not buy expensive wines or alcohol!!

I'm afraid we just like what we like!!

Ken

With the salmon, you can also pair it with a Chablis or Oregon Pinot. The Pinots from Burgundy are too expensive in my opinion relative to the quality. I'm not a fan of the combination but an old friend loved salmon with s French Syrah.

Pinot Noir from France

Sorry to learn you've been ill. Good to know that you're on the mend.
With the salmon, you can also pair it with a Chablis or Oregon Pinot. The Pinots from Burgundy are too expensive in my opinion relative to the quality. I'm not a fan of the combination but an old friend loved salmon with s French Syrah.
I have zero experience with French Pinot Noirs. I am also a bit of a "value" buyer and rarely buy a wine over $20 (most wines I buy are in the $10-$15 range). I've had several Pinot Noirs from California that I liked, notably one from Beringer. I also recall one from Chateau Ste Michelle (Washington State) that was quite good. A wine enthusiast friend recommended an Australian Pinot Noir (McWilliams winery, McW Reserve). Guy at the liquor store (one of their wine guys) recommended a Barbaresco. Never had one, AFAIK.

A lot of people think France makes only expensive wine. My local big box wine store has about ten Pinot Noirs from France in the range of $9 to $15.

Guy at the liquor store (one of their wine guys) recommended a Barbaresco.
That might work if you're serving a type of salmon that has a lot of fat in it. Barbaresco is made entirely from Nebbiolo. However, I doubt that you'll find a Barberesco in you're preferred price range; I've never seen one. You might be able to find a few Nebbiolos in that price range, but not Barbaresco.

A lot of people think France makes only expensive wine. My local big box wine store has about ten Pinot Noirs from France in the range of $9 to $15.
Good to know.
That might work if you're serving a type of salmon that has a lot of fat in it. Barbaresco is made entirely from Nebbiolo. However, I doubt that you'll find a Barberesco in you're preferred price range; I've never seen one. You might be able to find a few Nebbiolos in that price range, but not Barbaresco.
Thanks. Always learn stuff here. Headed out shopping tomorrow morning.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom