Wine

Today is Mike Grgich's 97th birthday. He's one of the most famous winemakers in Napa Valley, though he retired a few years ago from winemaking at his winery, Grgich Hills Estate. Tonight's celebration in his honor will be cornish hen and butter-glazed carrots paired with his 2016 Chardonnay.
I have some of his cab, I'll have a look see. Thanks Mike.

[Grgich Hills Estate 2016 Chardonnay
I haven't drunk a lot of California Chardonnays because they're generally not my style, but this one is unquestionably the best I've ever had. Bright, vibrant and fruity. I'm enjoying it while the Cornish hen is cooking.

EDIT: I ordered three more bottles. Surprisingly, the winery had the lowest total price I found because they're charging only 1 cent for shipping.

Last edited:
Let us know how it is. I've never had an Opus One but I look forward to it some day. Wine Spectator rated it 94 but said it would have been best to drink it by 2010.
The wine was very good. After a light decant, we drank the wine with only some nuts and dried fruit as an accompaniment. The color was past prime with a rim of brick red surrounding the dense purple. A very earthy nose but a nice floral and fruity taste. A complex and Bourdeaux-like wine. Very little finish. Probably a few years past it's prime.

The wine was very good. After a light decant, we drank the wine with only some nuts and dried fruit as an accompaniment. The color was past prime with a rim of brick red surrounding the dense purple. A very earthy nose but a nice floral and fruity taste. A complex and Bourdeaux-like wine. Very little finish. Probably a few years past it's prime.
Thank you! Now I'm only awaiting your report on the BV. :)

Yep. We decided that at our age we might not survive. Would hate to leave all that nice wine in the cellar. So I've been opening a few better bottles.
Us, too, though most of the really good old stuff has been drunk (at its prime); what we are enjoying now are wines that should be better in 3-5 years. So no big sacrifice.

Would you be able to tell the difference if you waited? If you drink it now, would your memory be accurate enough when comparing it to how it tastes years later? I'm confident neither my pallet nor my memory are good enough to do that.
You are right. Expert reviews being what they are are estimates at best and typically ignore taste. I used to keep great notes and often found that +/- a year or 2 never made a difference. Certainly great wines (82 Bordeaux) were monstrously tannic and unapproachable when first released. But a mid range Rioja, Chianti, NW Chard, which do well with some age also drink well slightly younger.

Besides I must be an expert: I've read 25 books on the subject and I am a social scientist! :D

I experienced a wine-buying process today that is a sign of the times. The background is that the store first tried limiting the number of customers inside the store to ten; everyone else stood outside in line. That lasted no more than a week because the store's owner said the people waiting in line weren't distancing themselves enough from each other and that the customers inside the store weren't distancing themselves enough from employees. So, they closed the store and started taking only phone and email orders. (They have limited online ordering.) I placed my email order this morning and once I was at the store, I called them to let them know I was outside. A gentleman set my wine on a table outside the store and immediately returned inside the store. I then picked up the wine and put it in my trunk.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom