Wine

When the Nationals won the World Series last year, my wife and I were given a bottle of wine shown below commemorating the win. We decided not to drink it until the Nationals had won their first game this season, so we drank it last night. Considering that Major League Baseball gets paid for the license, that the bottle is hand-etched and hand-painted, and that the whole concept is basically much like a tourist trap, we had low expectations for the quality of the wine despite its $50 price tag. We were really surprised how good it was! Though better wines can be found for the same price, this was far better than the everyday wines we drink and was not a ripoff in our mind. Blend of Cab and Merlot. 14% alcohol.

Mike 2020-01-18--001-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

When the Nationals won the World Series last year, my wife and I were given a bottle of wine shown below commemorating the win. We decided not to drink it until the Nationals had won their first game this season, so we drank it last night. Considering that Major League Baseball gets paid for the license, that the bottle is hand-etched and hand-painted, and that the whole concept is basically much like a tourist trap, we had low expectations for the quality of the wine despite its $50 price tag. We were really surprised how good it was! Though better wines can be found for the same price, this was far better than the everyday wines we drink and was not a ripoff in our mind. Blend of Cab and Merlot. 14% alcohol.

View attachment 1666503
Source of the grapes? Great photo with excellent separation.

I just learned that there is a National Wine Day, a National White Wine Day, a National Rose Wine Day and a National Red Wine Day. National White Wine Day this year is August 4. I didn't look up the other dates. Why no National Orange Wine Day? Seriously, this is just craziness.

It's so crazy that even though I will drink to almost anything, I won't drink to any of those days. But I will drink to the craziness of them.

I just learned that there is a National Wine Day, a National White Wine Day, a National Rose Wine Day and a National Red Wine Day. National White Wine Day this year is August 4. I didn't look up the other dates. Why no National Orange Wine Day? Seriously, this is just craziness.

It's so crazy that even though I will drink to almost anything, I won't drink to any of those days. But I will drink to the craziness of them.
And here I thought National Wine Day was every day that ends in the letter "Y"

How was it?
I enjoy mature cabernet. Brick red, throwing sediment, the whole mature red wine deal. Providing the wine has structure sufficient to support the aging process. But I much prefer to catch the wine just short of full maturity. When it's just starting to show some brick red at the edge and there's still some fruit left. That's where this bottle was. It reminded me of Heitz Bella Oaks vineyard cabernet (which alas is no longer produced and was one of my favs). Earthy with just the right amount of oak, a very big wine overall. I checked and only have 4 bottles left. The cellar mice must have drank one. I stood another up and will drink the rest over the next year. My first purchase from Dunn vineyards. I must have liked it at a tasting, I normally try and avoid pricey wines (IF I can). Highly recommended Mitch 🍷 (y)(y)🍷

I enjoy mature cabernet. Brick red, throwing sediment, the whole mature red wine deal. Providing the wine has structure sufficient to support the aging process. But I much prefer to catch the wine just short of full maturity. When it's just starting to show some brick red at the edge and there's still some fruit left. That's where this bottle was. It reminded me of Heitz Bella Oaks vineyard cabernet (which alas is no longer produced and was one of my favs). Earthy with just the right amount of oak, a very big wine overall. I checked and only have 4 bottles left. The cellar mice must have drank one. I stood another up and will drink the rest over the next year. My first purchase from Dunn vineyards. I must have liked it at a tasting, I normally try and avoid pricey wines (IF I can). Highly recommended Mitch 🍷 (y)(y)🍷
Rick, thanks for the great reportage. I enjoy hearing descriptions of wines as they have aged. My fear is always sitting too long on a bottle and catching it on the downslope. I don't have any 2005 cabs now but have quite a few 2007 that probably are ready. Plus I have a bunch of 1999 and 1997 that I fear may be past their prime.

Rick, thanks for the great reportage. I enjoy hearing descriptions of wines as they have aged. My fear is always sitting too long on a bottle and catching it on the downslope. I don't have any 2005 cabs now but have quite a few 2007 that probably are ready. Plus I have a bunch of 1999 and 1997 that I fear may be past their prime.
You know Mitch I don't think there's a rule when it comes to aging wine. I do think cellar temperature has the biggest effect. If your cellar temperature is 55F, you'll be waiting a long time for your wine to age. I've been fortunate to have several wines with 25-30 years of bottle age turn out beautifully (particularly vintage ports), and I've also had 20 year old wines that were sadly "over the hill". If I have high hopes for a particular wine, I always try and purchase at least a few bottles so I can taste as the "time" nears. I'd suggest inviting the drinking support team over and pop those late 90's bottles in the interest of science of course. 🍷 :D🍷

I'd suggest inviting the drinking support team over and pop those late 90's bottles in the interest of science of course. 🍷 :D
We're the drinking support team, so we should also be there to console Mitch in the event that he is disappointed in the wine. If he's really happy with the outcome, we should be there to confirm that he's right and to help him celebrate such a joyous occasion.

Last edited:
I don't think there's a rule when it comes to aging wine.
I agree and that explains why I like to follow Wine Spectator's recommendations about the ideal period of time to drink a particular wine. If they don't provide that information for the exact wine I own, they provide it for every vintage of the major styles of wine.

I don't have the expertise to know when tasting a wine soon after its release how long it should likely last or the period of time when it will likely be at its best, so I rely on the experts who are supposed to have that expertise.

EDIT: As an example, Rick's 2005 Dunn Howell Mountain Cab is one of the few vintages of that wine that Wine Spectator didn't review, but it says that Napa vintage is ready to drink now.

Last edited:
EDIT: As an example, Rick's 2005 Dunn Howell Mountain Cab is one of the few vintages of that wine that Wine Spectator didn't review, but it says that Napa vintage is ready to drink now.
I've tasted the current Dunn Napa release and in MY opinion it's nowhere near ready to enjoy. But that's MY opinion based on how I like red wine to taste. The Wine Spectator has different views as to when a wine is "ready" and that's what enjoying wine is all about imo. You drink what you like when and with what you like and lastly with WHOM you like. I prefer tannins to soften a bit but that's cause I'm a big sissy. BTW the Dunn Napa I tasted was the 2016 vintage and I've read other reviews saying the wine is "approachable" now. I respect their reviews but again I'm a bit of a sissy when it comes to tannins 🍷 😵🍷High alcohol content, now we're talkin.:sleep:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom