Wine

While you were guzzling quality by the glass, I was suffering through an afternoon with my know-it-all colleague and fellow retiree. I won't get into his vast knowledge about digital photography (shoots his P&S Olympus at the fastest ISO and smallest Jpg settings that he can, 'coz, "that's where the power is at"). He served 2 wines, Perrin's Cru de Coudoulet CDR and an Australian Syrah from the Hunter valley—both 1985s! :eek: He hadn't decanted them and both had enough sediment to plant grapes in, and both had been open 2 days or so. Yuck would be a kind comment. No fruit of any kind, not even dead prunes. No acid, no details, but "no sign of oxidation". Dull cloudy dusty brick in color. He's done this several times with wines that should have been drunk 2-3 years after release. Fortunately we had other wines to enjoy. Ah the life of a wine snob🍷🍾

While you were guzzling quality by the glass, I was suffering through an afternoon with my know-it-all colleague and fellow retiree. I won't get into his vast knowledge about digital photography (shoots his P&S Olympus at the fastest ISO and smallest Jpg settings that he can, 'coz, "that's where the power is at"). He served 2 wines, Perrin's Cru de Coudoulet CDR and an Australian Syrah from the Hunter valley—both 1985s! :eek: He hadn't decanted them and both had enough sediment to plant grapes in, and both had been open 2 days or so. Yuck would be a kind comment. No fruit of any kind, not even dead prunes. No acid, no details, but "no sign of oxidation". Dull cloudy dusty brick in color. He's done this several times with wines that should have been drunk 2-3 years after release. Fortunately we had other wines to enjoy. Ah the life of a wine snob🍷🍾
You have my commiseration. Conversation must have been awkward.

The September/October issue of Cook's Illustrated says one of its readers discovered that in a pinch, an "unopened wine bottle has the right weight and shape for rolling pie dough. And if you happen to have of a bottle of white wine in the refrigerator, the cold temperature will help keep the butter in the dough chilled."

That actually makes sense to me because I use a marble rolling pin, which is heavier and colder than a wooden rolling pin. If I was in a pinch as the reader indicated, I wouldn't care whether I put a bottle of red or white wine in the refrigerator.

The one thing I wonder is why anyone would begin a project requiring dough to be rolled when they don't have a rolling pin; that's the really interesting part of the story for me and it was left out.

Last edited:
The one thing I wonder is why anyone would begin a project requiring dough to be rolled when they don't have a rolling pin; that's the really interesting part of the story for me and it was left out.
We spent Thanksgiving a few years ago with our daughter, then in grad school in Boise. No rolling pin=no pie. Wine bottle to the rescue. She wasn't a baker and still isn't.

It seems to me that you should ask your daughter for a rolling pin for Christmas. Even if she spends Christmas day at your house this year, all she has to do is take a picture of it in her kitchen with a bow on it, present the photo on her phone to you Christmas Day, and leave the rolling pin at her home. (Sorry that there are no rolling pins or pies in the list of emojis.)

My friends gave me a silicon oven mitt. I liked it so much that I bought a matching one so there would be a pair, and asked them to take them to their lake house. I always cook when I go there so they come in very handy. I bought a second pair for my own home.

Yup. I've had several over the years. A lot like Pinot but with more minerality, does well with cheesey Spätzle and sausage. There is a great write-up in the book "God forsaken grapes" A favorite producer is:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I know you all might find it hard to believe but I'm drinking a beautiful red wine with lunch (pork chops off the grill, garlic salt only). A friend gave a bottle of Vegas Sicilia Valbueana years ago and I forgot about it. Had no idea what it was but he said it was "very good". I had no idea how good. I'm gonna have to pay more attention to the tempranillo grape.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom