Wine

Just a minute! Are y'all sure that's an elephant?

As a wildlife biologist I am certainly qualified to provide an identification of the beast.
I am absolutely positive that the photo above is of a Heffalump.

A Heffalump is a type of elephant-like character in the Winnie the Pooh stories by A. A. Milne. Heffalumps are mentioned, and appear in the book in Winnie-the-Pooh (1926), and again in The House at Pooh Corner (1928).

Now, off to drink some wine!

No. Since I made the difficult identification, I'm the only one eligible for extra credit. You may entitled to honorable mention. :ROFLMAO: 🍷
That would be an improvement for me; I usually get dishonorable mention. Especially if my wife is doing the mentioning.
I can share my brilliance with my fellow winos. Cheers guys.
See my post, coming soon, to the CS Windows/doors theme.

Doing some color calibration on a new monitor. They sure set them bright by default, need to scale back to 60.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Yes, I did have "some" wine in support of the heffalump:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I've decided that once everything post-COVID has returned to normal, I'm gonna celebrate with a really great wine. The problem is how to determine that normality has returned. That will probably be defined as when my wife, who is even more vigilant than me about COVID, feels comfortable being inside with friends or at a restaurant or store without wearing a mask. I'm guessing 2022 at the earliest before that comes to be.

Come to think of it, I should designate now what the celebratory wine will be.

My family spent the long thanksgiving holiday at a small house on a lake about 2 hours from our home. I brought 2 magnums of a new to me wine. 2015 Maroon Reserve Cabernet. Really delicious. Sourced from a small, family vineyard and spent 30 months in oak. Very full bodied and the oak is clearly a flavor that both my wife and I enjoy. I've also decided that it's easier for me to travel with 2 magnums than four 750ml bottles.

I've also decided that it's easier for me to travel with 2 magnums than four 750ml bottles.
I use this for 750ml bottles: https://www.wineenthusiast.com/6-bottle-waxed-canvas-weekend-wine-bag?quantity=1&personalization=7 It even has a rear pocket for a frozen thingy that keeps the wine cool for putting white wines in the rear row and red wines in the front row. I like it so much that I gave one to friends for Christmas. Any time they or we take a driving rather than flying vacation or just a day trip, we take it.

I just now set aside a bottle of 2010 Chateau Durfort-Vivens for the celebration. It's a red Bordeaux second-growth grand cru from the Margaux region. I drank the same vintage nearly three years ago and it was just terrific. Wine Spectator recommends drinking it by 2027 and I sure do expect the celebration to occur before then.

I received some Australian Shiraz that I think is only the second time I've noticed braille on a label. It's on the front label with none on the rear label. I'm going to try to effectively photograph the braille. The raised dots are very small and will be difficult to light to make them immediately apparent.

Coincidentally, it's also the first time I've noticed that the front label is not glued correctly to the bottle. In three of the six bottles, there are bulges in the label where it is not adhered to the bottle.

I received some Australian Shiraz that I think is only the second time I've noticed braille on a label. It's on the front label with none on the rear label. I'm going to try to effectively photograph the braille. The raised dots are very small and will be difficult to light to make them immediately apparent.

Coincidentally, it's also the first time I've noticed that the front label is not glued correctly to the bottle. In three of the six bottles, there are bulges in the label where it is not adhered to the bottle.
I wonder if they have to be extra careful when applying the lable in order to avoid damaging the Braille. Too much pressure and the Braille would vanish.

This should be interesting to photograph with some one directional side lighting. I look forward to your images!

Wine Folly has produced an 8-minute video that reviews the world of wine in 2020. It's pleasingly irreverent, including its heading that "When you look back on 2020, you may not be able to fight the urge to drink directly from the decanter. No one’s judging you." It's also informative; I was reminded of a few things that happened earlier in the year and learned a few tidbits that were new to me. Madeline Puckette, founder of Wine Folly and star of the video, may seem a bit over the top at times in the video. If that's the worst that you have had to put up with in 2020, consider it a better year than everyone else had.

https://winefolly.com/lifestyle/a-year-of-wine-in-review-2020/?utm_campaign=year-of-wine-in-review&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_source=email&_ke=eyJrbF9jb21wYW55X2lkIjogIlFkTlk0eSIsICJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJtYnVja2xleUBjb3gubmV0In0=

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom