Wine

Alas, it is apparently sold out.
Continue watching for it, Jim, as they often repeat offerings.

Also be aware that you can go to their website and click My Cellar to review the wines you've bought from them. Some of them will still be available for you to buy at that time rather than waiting for them to send an email about it. However, that web page currently displays that the Conundrum is not available at this time.

I celebrated Ben Franklin's 315th birthday this evening by:
  • playing a mini-recital on the piano for my wife (in homage to Franklin's love of music and his invention of the armonica, which is an instrument that played drinking glasses containing water);
  • serving a main dish at supper of coriander-crusted rack of lamb au jus (Franklin absolutely loved rich foods);
  • and enjoying a 2010 Chateau Durfort-Vivens, which is a second-growth premier cru red Bordeaux wine (when Franklin was in France, his cellar never had less than 1000 bottles and most of them were red and white wines from Bordeaux, the others being Madeira and Sherry)

I'm re-discovering Vermouth
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My wine cellar gets quite cold this time of year, so much so that I don't need to chill white wines.

I put the Thermopop device Nick introduced me to into a bottle I brought up a few minutes ago. It showed 41ºF.

I don't think those temps hurt anything as long as it stays above freezing.

Mine hits 40 on the cold nights. Great for whites :) For reds, given that I never seem to plan far enough ahead, I stick the bottle in 80 degree water for some 20 minutes or so to bring it up the temp at the last "minute".

Mine hits 40 on the cold nights. Great for whites :) For reds, given that I never seem to plan far enough ahead, I stick the bottle in 80 degree water for some 20 minutes or so to bring it up the temp at the last "minute".
If my wife lets me know the dinner plans in time, I will bring a bottle of red up to the dining room, which stays about 65 now.

My cellar gets up to the upper 60s in summer, but temperature changes are very slow. It will stay in the 40s until Spring, then rise gradually. There is very little diurnal fluctuation, which is what think is bad for wine.

I think the idea that rapid fluctuation of wine temperature is harmful is a classic myth. If it's so harmful, why don't all the trucks delivering wine to retail stores and directly to consumers that suddenly expose wine to very hot or cold temperatures cause problems? I've actually had wine freeze in the trunk of my car because I forgot it was there (which I realize doesn't speak well of me) and I detected no problem when drinking it later.

The wine refrigerator dedicated to my daily drinking wines is in my makeshift studio. During the last week or so when outside temperatures have been hovering around 32 degrees Fahrenheit, the temperature in the studio has been hovering a little below 50 degrees Fahrenheit. During this period I've been bringing the wine into the house about ten minutes earlier than usual. During this period our home is about 72 degrees Fahrenheit.

I think the idea that rapid fluctuation of wine temperature is harmful is a classic myth. If it's so harmful, why don't all the trucks delivering wine to retail stores and directly to consumers that suddenly expose wine to very hot or cold temperatures cause problems?
I only think it's a problem if it happens repeatedly over a period of years for wines being aged for future consumption. But I admit that I have not seen any scientific studies of this.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom