Wine

Congratulations on your anniversary, though to say that you survived the stroke is a huge understatement; you've been thriving for a long time.

If there is no sauce on the meat other than some butter or oil and herbs, I would go with the Barolo that is likely to be the best one of the two choices. That's despite that I'm a huge fan of Amarone. If there is going to be a sauce, you'll need to let us know its primary ingredients.

Wine Spectator rated three Barolos from Sordo very highly in 2013 but didn't rate the one you've got. It's probably excellent. They didn't rate the other Barolo you've got. They rated the Amarone 89 points and advised to drink it in the next two years. Hopefully this info helps!

Thanks, Mike. All of these bottles were given to me years ago. The older Barolo is probably what we'll choose.

No sauce is planned at the moment, but you're giving me ideas for something like a mushroom and red wine sauce.

I enjoyed the 2010 Barolo very much. It was not as full-bodied as I expected, but then I haven't tasted Barolo in a long time. My wife preferred the Columbia Crest Cabernet that was used in making the mushroom and wine sauce for the filets, so there is still about a half bottle of Barolo left for me to enjoy with the leftover meat tomorrow night. :)

I'm not surprised that your wife preferred the Cab. Nebbiolo is one of those wine grapes that people seem to like a lot or not at all, with seemingly few people taking a position in between.

She agreed that it went well with the food, but after a small glass she reached for the cabernet.

Before she came down to help with dinner I poured a small amount of each wine in separate glasses and moved the bottles. I asked her to see if she could figure out which wine was which. The Barolo had a brown tinge commensurate with its age, and the bouquet was decidedly different. She didn't notice the difference in color, and said she couldn't smell anything from either glass! :(

Last edited:
A few years ago my wife , in a loving way, told me she felt intimidated with respect to my knowledge and enthusiasm regarding wine. That was the end of blind "tests". Given the choice, my wife will drink beer. She loves good wine with meals. I've made it a point to always ask if she enjoys the wine we're having with dinner and take note of the ones she likes. I make sure to plan meals around her favorites and include her favorite wines. Happy wife happy life. BTW, I'm totally intimidated by her gardening abilities. 🍷 :)🍷

Edit: We had one of her favorites last night. 2002 Ridge Montebello blend of which I have 6 bottles left. Was great with prime rib on the grill. She does have a good palate. (y)

Last edited:
We discussed earlier Jim's choice of whether to pair Barolo or Amarone with beef topped with a mushroom and red wine sauce. He went with Barolo.

Coincidentally, I had the same choice last night. The main difference for me was that I knew my sauce included a thick, rich Balsamic vinegar. I chose the Amarone for four reasons: I have fewer opportunities to pair Amarone than Barolo with food and wanted to take advantage of this one; I have more Amarone in stock now than usual; I knew the rich Amarone would pair nicely with the sauce made especially rich by the special Balsamic; and I felt the Amarone would pair better than the Barolo with the chocolate chip cookies we enjoyed for dessert.

Last edited:
I suspect that the sommelier would describe it as young and sprightly.

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 4.40.09 PM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I've never paired an Amarone with food. The wine always struck me as akin to drinking raisins. It's an interesting affair, but best consumed with some nuts or dried fruit IMHO.

I'm confused: you've never paired it with food but you think it's best with nuts and dried fruit. Those pairings seem to be naturals. Try it also with rich cheese. My favorite pairings are a main dish of lamb or venison and raspberry sauce or a dessert of any rich chocolate with raspberries or raspberry sauce.

I'm confused: you've never paired it with food but you think it's best with nuts and dried fruit. Those pairings seem to be naturals. Try it also with rich cheese. My favorite pairings are a main dish of lamb or venison and raspberry sauce or a dessert of any rich chocolate with raspberries or raspberry sauce.

I don't consider nuts and dried fruit "food". More of an accompaniment. Perhaps I should have said I have never paired an Amarone with an entrée.

We enjoyed an Amarone 2008 Sunday evening with friends who served a flatiron steak that had been marinated in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, rosemary, and ...the hostess didn't give the full recipe. But I thought it was a very complementary combination.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom