Wine

My car's license plate is LUVWINE and I just love the conversations I get into with really enjoyable people from all walks of life who notice it. Three people mentioned the license plate to me during my recent six-day vacation. As an example, the following conversation occurred in a wine store immediately after I went to the Pinot Noir section, selected a favorite wine, and paid for it.

The other person said to the clerk while pointing to me: "My wife told me to buy some red wine. I saw his license plate, so I went to the same section he went to."
Me: "What wine did you pick?" (He then showed me the wine and I was not familiar with the winery.)
"What food will you be eating?"
"Lobster with a butter sauce. No, King crab legs. No, maybe Stone crab claws. I really don't know, but something like that."
"Most people would drink Chardonnay with that."
"We never drink white wine."
"Then that's the perfect choice for you."
"Great! I'll get a second bottle."

The entire conversation took place in less time than it probably took you to read this post. I walked out with a huge smile on my face. My only regret was that I didn't offer to buy two more bottles and invite myself and my wife to his place, because I would bet that he would have been thrilled to have us over to join in the fun.

Lettie Teague (WSJ wine columnist) has posted part 2 of her wine education columns. It involved choosing wine at a restaurant. In particular it posed this question: "And the wine must be flexible enough to complement a wide variety of dishes. In this case, everyone at the table had ordered something different, from a meaty pasta to chicken, salmon and shrimp."

Would you choose red or white?

She doesn't say what the meat in the pasta is but I assume her description of it as a "meaty pasta" implies that it's either pork or red meat with a red sacue. I would choose Pinot Noir because it's the most food-friendly wine. However, if the meaty pasta has a white sauce, I would choose Chenin Blanc.

One really should read the article to get the full context, but they came close to your choice: "...a Grenache-dominant 2018 Chateau de Rouanne Vinsobres ($60) from the southern Rhône Valley."

It was a party of five, and they first had a Sancerre-like wine: "...2019 Jean-Max Roger Morogues Le Petit Clos Menetou-Salon".

I think the ideal choice would have been a bottle of both to start in hopes that there would have been some of each left to accompany the main course. That would probably not have happened, sadly.

If anyone would like to read the full article and doesn't have online access, PM me an e-mail address and I can send you a link.

Lettie Teague (WSJ wine columnist) has posted part 2 of her wine education columns. It involved choosing wine at a restaurant. In particular it posed this question: "And the wine must be flexible enough to complement a wide variety of dishes. In this case, everyone at the table had ordered something different, from a meaty pasta to chicken, salmon and shrimp."

Would you choose red or white?
Rose. When I go to a Greek restaurant, I always order Roditys. Goes well with everything.

When I go to a Greek restaurant, I always order Roditys.

I can't tell whether you're being serious or sarcastic. That's because a friend told me to order Roditys when I went to Greece because he said it's the worst drink ever made. He wanted me to get a laugh out of the experience. That didn't happen because, though I didn't like it enough to order it again, I certainly didn't think it was awful.

Not if you don't like Champagne. Having said that, I should try a good champagne with lobster or crab to determine if that might be the one situation I would like it.
A sort of left-field suggestion if you actually perform this experiment: Gruet Blanc de Blancs. I'm not big of champagne either but I like this one. Discovered it on a business trip to Albuquerque when I visited the Gruet tasting room. Their Chenin Blanc is also very tasty.

Last edited:
Very special wine is in order tonight. That's because today I finished a project I began more than two years ago of writing all my recipes -- 228 as of now -- so my wife, who never cooks, will be able to use them if I kick the bucket before she does. I'm 8 years older than her and she takes a little bit better care of herself, so that's likely. As an example, when a normal recipe would explain to heat the olive oil in a pan, these recipes explain to heat the olive oil until it shimmers but not to let it smoke. Lots of similar hand-holding details are included in the recipes.

So, when she gets home from work, we'll start the evening with appetizers of smoked duck breast on rice crackers topped with hoisin sauce paired with the following wine, which I thoroughly enjoy and reserve for special occasions:

Mike 2021-04-10--0001-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Very special wine is in order tonight. That's because today I finished a project I began more than two years ago of writing all my recipes -- 228 as of now -- so my wife, who never cooks, will be able to use them if I kick the bucket before she does. I'm 8 years older than her and she takes a little bit better care of herself, so that's likely. As an example, when a normal recipe would explain to heat the olive oil in a pan, these recipes explain to heat the olive oil until it shimmers but not to let it smoke. Lots of similar hand-holding details are included in the recipes.

So, when she gets home from work, we'll start the evening with appetizers of smoked duck breast on rice crackers topped with hoisin sauce paired with the following wine, which I thoroughly enjoy and reserve for special occasions:

View attachment 1686422
No would be the perfect time to teach her how to shuck oysters—can't get more automatic than that!

View attachment 1686422
Mike, how was that wine?

Mike, how was that wine?

I enjoyed it now this second time every bit as much as the first time. In fact, I'm convinced I need to explore high-end, Bordeaux-like wines from Washington a lot more. Based on their reputation and this wine, they represent a far better value than their counterparts to the south in Napa Valley and in France.

I enjoyed it now this second time every bit as much as the first time. In fact, I'm convinced I need to explore high-end, Bordeaux-like wines from Washington a lot more. Based on their reputation and this wine, they represent a far better value than their counterparts to the south in Napa Valley and in France.
I've had their Four Flags cabernet and enjoyed it. I think I paid ~$65 for it. Lots of nice cabs and blends at this price point fron Napa as well. 🍷

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom