Wine

I was parroting the presenter.

I think it's fine when individuals have opinions about pairings that are not mainstream. However, when the person expressing their opinion is working in the official capacity supposedly from an informed position, I strongly believe he or she should explain why that opinion is not mainstream and why the mainstream opinion works so well for so many people.

All of the wines were presented in flights of two in the order you see in my pictures. After we had a chance to taste them he would ask which of the two we liked best. The votes were usually pretty evenly divided. After the Nebbiolo and the Zeni Amarone flight the vote was 100% for the Amarone. The presenter agreed but admitted it was not a fair comparison and suggested the Nebbiolo would go better with a tomato-sauced pasta dish. I think what he really meant was that the Amarone would be wasted with such a food choice.

Last edited:
The presenter agreed but admitted it was not a fair comparison and suggested the Nebbiolo would go better with a tomato-sauced pasta dish. I think what he really meant was that the Amarone would be wasted with such a food choice.

That also didn't make sense to me because I think of Amarone as being mostly acidic. So, I looked up Wine Folly's thinking about Amarone and they agree. I would much rather drink an Amarone than a Nebbiolo with a tomato-based pasta.

If the price of the Nebbiolo is less (it probably is), that doesn't mean the high cost of the Amarone would be wasted on a pasta dish. Just the opposite, I think a less expensive Nebbiolo would be more of a waste on a tomato-based dish because it could be paired so much better with so many dishes of red meat or New Zealand green-tipped mussels.

In my experience Nebbiolo goes best with rich, oily foods, meats and mushrooms. Slow cooked beef shanks, Ratatouille, string and salty cheese and coarse breads. Admittedly, some bottle age will help tame the tannins, but some of us lack that degree of self control any more.
I've never tried it with NZ mussels.

By the way, may favorite cookbook, The Wine Lover's Cookbook, explains that if you put walnuts in a serving, they will take away the shock of the tannins in a red wine. That's because the walnuts are highly tannic. Too bad I don't like walnuts. It's a good think I like tannins in wine, especially if they are fine and velvety.

Back to Spain for meat and noodles...

Z07_5625.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It is a bit old already, we only got 2 bottles left... One by now ;)

Marques de Riscal is one of my favorite wines and my favorite Rioja (that I can afford). We finished the last bottle of a case of the 1998 Reserva a few years ago and it was splendid. Marques de Riscal winery is a traditional sort of place and has nurtured its vines for over 80 years. One item on my bucket list is a visit.
I fully agree, these are beautiful wines. They can be bought for a reasonable price in the supermarket nearby, why we tend to have a few bottles ready. More from Spain, today...

20191111_202311.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Pata Negra Gran Reserva 2006 Valdepeñas

Latest threads

Top Bottom